Phantom DRAMA! Learn from my stupidity!

I love the shoes.

You must be pretty new with this to panic with percentage of battery you had left. When I RTH I shut the controller off until it's around 100ft. This helps save a ton of battery life on the remote controller.

Also, my V+ in v3.0 descends between 10-14mph in higher altitude, and then around 6mph from 500ft and below.

Not stupid at all, thanks for the reminder for the rest of us.

A few years ago I got mesmerized by my flawless barrel rolls with the 600N, did one too many and realized I was out of altitude, yikes, got it flipped over, hit throttle hold, full collective to stop the blades, nothing broken but lesson learned :eek:

XL-Studios said:
I compiled this specially for you Phantompilots out there.
The video speaks for itself: http://youtu.be/NmQ8npcHQi0
Hope you Enjoy and fly safe!

flyNfrank said:
I love the shoes.

You must be pretty new with this to panic with percentage of battery you had left. When I RTH I shut the controller off until it's around 100ft. This helps save a ton of battery life on the remote controller.

Also, my V+ in v3.0 descends between 10-14mph in higher altitude, and then around 6mph from 500ft and below.
I had no previous experience of what happens in RTH when <20% and so high up. The controller battery was not my worry at all. I was more worried about total engine shutdown or such. And I did not realize that she was already home. Taught she was still some 300 meters away. (My misstake not to look more closely at telemetry)

You really have more battery left then what is reported. I wasnt worried watching this. I had a scare once where it flew way past 0% battery and still had enough power to slowly descend. They dont just stop and fall they will slowly lose power as the blades produce less and less lift, usually resulting in a soft landing. That may damage the battery draining it that low but at least the Phantom will be safe.

duse500 said:
Loved it,Very cool
makes me want to get one
You should! 99% of the times it leaves me with a big smile in my face after every flight! The really far auto piloted Return To Home are actually awesome to follow on the FPV just that you should have enough battery to be safe.

midwestjeff said:
You really have more battery left then what is reported. I wasnt worried watching this. I had a scare once where it flew way past 0% battery and still had enough power to slowly descend. They dont just stop and fall they will slowly lose power as the blades produce less and less lift, usually resulting in a soft landing. That may damage the battery draining it that low but at least the Phantom will be safe.
Thanks for the info! This is good to know.

I wonder if God was trying to scare the cr@p out of you as punishment for wearing socks with sandals? :lol:

Sorry couldn’t resist that, I am on the other hand really pleased that didn’t end horribly for you mate.

I’ve seen in youtube comments of your video that you are flying in Naza mode, because you can switch to ATTI. But if you are in Phantom mode you can still change to ATTI mode by flipping the s1 to middle position. Am I correct? I still can’t decide if I should change to Naza or leave it in phantom mode with 3.00 firmware.

Holy ****!! Accidentally switched to ATTI! Saved the day :D Your presentation of what happened was great, told the story perfectly. I've never thought to hover low (over LONG grass) and let the battery run out to see what happens. :)

platonas1 said:
I’ve seen in youtube comments of your video that you are flying in Naza mode, because you can switch to ATTI. But if you are in Phantom mode you can still change to ATTI mode by flipping the s1 to middle position. Am I correct? I still can’t decide if I should change to Naza or leave it in phantom mode with 3.00 firmware.
ATII is only possible in NAZA mode (S1 in middle) and I strongly recommend you to activate it! There are no cons at all as far as i can see. Some say that if you are in GPS mode and lose satellites it will go to ATTI mode by itself but my experience is that this is NOT granted! It will rather just drift with the wind and manually switching to ATTI is the lifesaver.

Doono said:
Holy ****!! Accidentally switched to ATTI! Saved the day :D Your presentation of what happened was great, told the story perfectly. I've never thought to hover low (over LONG grass) and let the battery run out to see what happens. :)
:-D Yep when I jumped the fence with the controller in a strap around my neck it switched to ATTI and somehow this got it out of the horrible fall. (Most likely prop wash)Driving around with the ATV trying to spot it and then running to catch it gave me no option to try to also control it but luck had it´s eye on me that evening.
I think hovering over solid grounds and let it run out is pebbly a good idea. I think at some point when I was running low on battery it autolanded around 20%?

lukeglazebrook said:
I wonder if God was trying to scare the cr@p out of you as punishment for wearing socks with sandals? :lol:

Sorry couldn’t resist that, I am on the other hand really pleased that didn’t end horribly for you mate.

+1

I had the same intuitive feeling.
God had a hand in this !

Seiko1 said:
I've had mine a year and still get the shakes when I put it in danger.... which is every time I fly :lol:
Have you seen some of the Youtube footage where they lose control and the Phantom ends up above the clouds ???
Now that would be scary !!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8aR5qp-5g4
Kamikaze :D great name for a Phantom Pilot :lol: You should use that!

Great video!!! Loved the narration. Nail biting stuff.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

Double-D said:
Great video!!! Loved the narration. Nail biting stuff.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk
Thanks!
It truly scared the **** out of me and I am so thankful that I got a chance to continue to fly this thing!

lukeglazebrook said:

Come on it´s the latest fashion! :)
Well just enjoy learning from ALL misstakes I make. It´s on the house :-D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1