Phantom Down

Reaction score
I I am currently rebuilding my Phantom. I had a bad crash. I have been accused of not being the smartest guy, on this forum even, but this was just dumb.

I finally decided to go above 450 feet. The Phantom took off fine and was ascending good. At 450 feet I almost stopped the ascent but she was having such a great time I let it go. At 900 feet I got a little nervous. When she hit 1000 feet I panicked and flipped the S1 to fail safe.

When I knew she would come home all safe and happy I let the controller hang by the lanyard while I checked my phone. I heard it before I saw it. The tone of the props changed from that steady bumblebee I'm used to to a wobbly sound.

When I looked up it looked like the Phantom was coming down fast, but it was still too far up to see well. Then it was 100 feet above me falling in a slow barrel roll. When the props were straight up it would slow, not stop, and then roll over and hurdle hellbound. Until she hit the ground 3 meters in front of me on her top.

The problem was the bottom of my S1 Switch was meant to be failsafe, but I had left in as manual. So when I panicked and pulled the switch down it was in a bank and being manual mode she just continued the motion without any control input.

This is the story in telling everyone because what actually happened is even stupider. I went out to get in the expedition and just realized I didn't have the keys. The remote was around my neck and I just sat the bird on top of the expedition while I went back in to get the keys.

When I came out, the guys I was going to fly with were leaving so I jumped in the truck, pulled the lanyard off and set the rc in the backseat and took off to catch up.

She held on about 500 feet before sliding off the roof. The impact was hard enough to cause structural damage and would have required a rebuild even if it hadn't been for that mud puddle. When I got to her she was upside down, battery ejected, two props broken, camera and servo with plate about 10 feet from where it should be, and all 4 jello balls in between.

I have cleaned the boards, replaced one ESC, ordered new props and started a paint job since it is tore down. Pics will come, what is the consensus on telemetry recorders and trackers?

Re: Phantom Down

Check the battery for swelling or punctures. Be sure it does not have either before using it again.

Spiritskeeper said:
I I am currently rebuilding my Phantom. I had a bad crash. I have been accused of not being the smartest guy, on this forum even, but this was just dumb.

I finally decided to go above 450 feet. The Phantom took off fine and was ascending good. At 450 feet I almost stopped the ascent but she was having such a great time I let it go. At 900 feet I got a little nervous. When she hit 1000 feet I panicked and flipped the S1 to fail safe.

When I knew she would come home all safe and happy I let the controller hang by the lanyard while I checked my phone. I heard it before I saw it. The tone of the props changed from that steady bumblebee I'm used to to a wobbly sound.

When I looked up it looked like the Phantom was coming down fast, but it was still too far up to see well. Then it was 100 feet above me falling in a slow barrel roll. When the props were straight up it would slow, not stop, and then roll over and hurdle hellbound. Until she hit the ground 3 meters in front of me on her top.

The problem was the bottom of my S1 Switch was meant to be failsafe, but I had left in as manual. So when I panicked and pulled the switch down it was in a bank and being manual mode she just continued the motion without any control input.

This is the story in telling everyone because what actually happened is even stupider. I went out to get in the expedition and just realized I didn't have the keys. The remote was around my neck and I just sat the bird on top of the expedition while I went back in to get the keys.

When I came out, the guys I was going to fly with were leaving so I jumped in the truck, pulled the lanyard off and set the rc in the backseat and took off to catch up.

She held on about 500 feet before sliding off the roof. The impact was hard enough to cause structural damage and would have required a rebuild even if it hadn't been for that mud puddle. When I got to her she was upside down, battery ejected, two props broken, camera and servo with plate about 10 feet from where it should be, and all 4 jello balls in between.

I have cleaned the boards, replaced one ESC, ordered new props and started a paint job since it is tore down. Pics will come, what is the consensus on telemetry recorders and trackers?

Sounds like you should have stayed in bed today!

Most definitely should have stayed in bed. The only up side is I get to spend some quality time with the bird.

This is what we call in the south, stupid tax.

Thank you for sharing, in detail, your events of the day.
By the way you posted, I don't guess you'd mind me laughing with you. You don't have any video, do ya? :D

No. I kind of wish I did. Lesson learned. I am deciding on a hard case now. Haven't found one I love yet.

I have been in emergency services for two decades, either laugh about it or you will cry. [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND TIGHTLY-CLOSED EYES]

Jacob the battery is good. No swelling or discoloration.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31