Phantom & dogs!

Reaction score
While flying my Phantom high up in a local field I waa amazed just how frantic some passing dogs became! No control from their owners and even though it was high up in the sky they were jumping up in the air trying to catch it! I thought it must be the sound of the motors, but on going home a dog dashed towards and tried to grab it out of my hands! Perhaps they think its a bone??!
Goodness knows what will happen when I try flying nearer my home where there are regular dog walkers going by!!

The dogs and their owners around my house are used to seeing the Phantom and take little or no notice any more. In fact, sometimes I walk with them as I walk my Phantom just a few feet ahead and a bit overhead, :ugeek:

My dog really makes me nervous when I take my multi's up. She charges them and tries to bite at them (in play). If she got hit with one of the blades, she'll lose her remaining eye without a doubt ,or at least get torn up really badly with those CF props...

My dogs dont realy pay much attention to the phantom, there is one dog in the yard at the back of my block where I do some flying. This thing starts barking as soon as it hears the battery being inserted :lol: as I dont fly that close and my setup is fairly quiet it stops barking once it cant hear it. I think the dog goes nurs it anyone walks around that area so it may not be just the phantom that excites it but anything.

justsomeguy said:
My dog didn't care for it at first.

After a session where I taped a 8' long string with a dog treat at the end and had him jumping and chasing the magical levitating treat around the yard, he is really excited whenever he hears it start up.

I dont want to encourage my dog to think the phantom is a tasty treat otherwise he will chew it to bits next time he is left alone with it in the same room. Even if it was in the case I think it would only add a few more seconds of protection, much like how I dont agree with people feeding sharks underwater, I wont encourage my dogs to eat my toys :lol:

I imagine dogs love the Phantom same as a frisbee or a bird. It's an object (which could be food) moving through the air and that triggers their pursuit response. I'm actually more worried about encountering a dog while flying than crashing. Neither the animal nor the machine will come out unscathed. :(

PF

My dogs could care less until I dressed it up for halloween and tested it in the back yard. They went NUTS!! Barking and chasing it but when I went toward them, they just ran and barked louder. Without the costume on it, they pay it no attention. :D

Re: Phantom & dogs!

I let my dog take a look at it just before I took off one day, they had a quick sniff and then weren't too interested, once I armed the motors they looked over and once it was off the ground they didn't care about it.

Now when they see me packing it up (getting ready to go out and fly) my dogs get excited because they know I'm taking them out with me.

http://youtu.be/yuz0UOagp6A

You can see them now and then in this video

My wife has a Springer spaniel. Yesterday we took the dog in the yard with the express intent of seeing how she would react. Once the motors came on she went NUTS!!!!! I took off and hovered and the dog had absolute fits of barking and chased the Phantom. She refused to allow herself to be caught by my wife. I finally had to take the copter to ~20 feet set in GPS mode, then turn my attention to screaming at the dog.

She was so frightened of me, she retreated to my wife's protection and was grabbed by the collar and dragged back into the house. Suffice it to say the dog would tear the Phantom apart snatching it out of mid-air at the top of her best leap (and springer's can JUMP) before I could ever get it safely to the ground.

That piece of **** dog is going to have to be confined to the house with NO possibility of escape any time I fly in the yard. Yesterday was QUITE a lesson.

PF

I took my Phantom out to a beach near my house last night. I have upgraded the LED navigation lights so I can tell the orientation of my Phantom from at least 300 meters. During the middle of my second flight a couple pulled up in their car and watched me fly around. They got out of their car, put a blinking LED onto their golden retriever and started walking around.

I start flying around at an altitude of at least 60 meters and at the opposite side of the beach. All of a sudden their dog took off and started chasing the Phantom. All anybody could see was red and green navigation lights being chased by a barking white blinking LED. I was amused but this couple was kind of pissed as it took them 10 minutes to get their dog back to sanity. :lol:

I don't know where you live, but here in NY dog owners are liable for any damage they do while OFF-LEASH. If some stranger's dog damages my copter or causes me to crash, they're gonna pay!!! :twisted:

PF

PhantomFan said:
I don't know where you live, but here in NY dog owners are liable for any damage they do while OFF-LEASH. If some stranger's dog damages my copter or causes me to crash, they're gonna pay!!! :twisted:

PF

San Francisco. The land of leash laws that are completely ignored. In fact we even have off leash dog parks.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub