Phantom doesn't take off

Reaction score
After I upgrade my firmware to 4.0 the phantom doesn't take off any more. I followed the calibration compass tutorial. The MOD number was 200 and now is on 1687. But still doesn't take off any more. I wrote to DJI and guy name Rian told me to calibrate the IMU. I did it twice. Nothing happens. Disable the Voltage protection. Nothing. I made this video to show my case: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lWpQvDA ... e=youtu.be

justsomeguy said:
The top half of shell is installed incorrectly so the gps puck is confused.

Solution: Remove top half of the shell, rotate 90 degrees CW and reinstall.

J S Guy,

Why would that prevent it from taking off, rather than causing a flyaway?

Thanks,

In his video you can clearly see that the top part of the shell has been improperly reinstalled.

I second this. He has to turn his upper cover 90° clockwise.

Buk said:
justsomeguy said:
The top half of shell is installed incorrectly so the gps puck is confused.

Solution: Remove top half of the shell, rotate 90 degrees CW and reinstall.

J S Guy,

Why would that prevent it from taking off, rather than causing a flyaway?

Thanks,

The justsomeguy does not know what he is talking about. It has nothing to do with the GPS puck being confused. This is happening because when you put the shell back on you then you then put the prop blades on. The instructions for the prop blades are now turned 90 degrees. So in essence all of your rotors are now pushing downwards.

justsomeguy said:
miskatonic said:
The justsomeguy does not know what he is talking about. It has nothing to do with the GPS puck being confused. This is happening because when you put the shell back on you then you then put the prop blades on. The instructions for the prop blades are now turned 90 degrees. So in essence all of your rotors are now pushing downwards.

This creepy Miskatonic guy is not only lazy but a particularly goofy brand of dumb.

The OP has the newer Phantom with two motors that have reverse threaded props/nuts (two silver, two black). All the fool has to do to understand this is to watch the video. He is too lazy to do that though.

Regardless of the position of the upper half of the shell, you cannot put the wrong props on the motors. Duh.

Again, it's clearly evident in the video that the upper shell is installed incorrectly. That's all that is required to fix it.

Buy black nuts where. My only silver.

The fastest way to fix this is to take your rotors off and swap them all one position clockwise. Since the compass is on the legs it makes no difference which way the GPS is facing. If this were a true NAZA puck with an integrated compass you would have an issue and need to reorientate the shell immediately.

The best way to fix this is to take your rotors off then take your shell off and rotate the shell clockwise 90 degrees so that the red stickers are both facing front. Then put your rotors back on following the label.

I had exactly the same issue a few months ago. :mrgreen:

Oh and this is why Just Some idiot is wrong, as usual.

http://vimeo.com/65294650

mnuser said:
The shell does look to be 90 CW. The light should be between the two red stripes. That is where I would start too and I'm a full blown rookie.

Exactly. To take your shell off you have to take the props off. Then what happened was he put the shell back on but at a 90 degree rotation. He then put the props back on according to the index marks on the shell, which is now at 90 degrees from where they should be. Now there are CCW props where there should be CW props. When this happens, all the thrust goes up and pushes the Phantom down.

The props only fit one way in this particular Phantom, unless he's botched up the threads. With the upper shell off by 90 degrees, both the GPS is pointed the wrong way in relation to the real front of this Phantom and additionally, his compass calibration will be off too as he is basing it on the wrong quadrant of the Phantom. He points the wrong "side" down.

My limited experience says the upper shell was installed 90 degrees off and the props put on according the wrong markings on the upper shell and the props are cross threaded in the wrong positions relative to motor rotation preventing flight. I'm surprised they don't fly off.

If he did get it in the air, GPS and compass errors wouldn't even send it to China in a flyaway.

This noob will return to training mode waiting to hear how this is solved, thanks.

Those look like the new nuts but old props - I didn't think anything changed in the props, just the nuts. You can still put the props in the wrong spots, it's jsut that reversing the threading on two of the motors makes them self-tightening.

The integrated prop-nuts are domed on top and one piece, rather than pointy.

Yes. Exactly. I thought about it last night and if the shell is rotated 90 degrees the props are on the wrong motors causing it to push down. The props will go on any motor they are not specific to one motor. Of course you must match up the symbol but one could just overlook that if they wanted I guess. It is the nuts that are threaded to work on only two of the motors. I guess I would have put my hand above the phantom and just felt which way the wind was blowning when under power and you would "feel" the problem. It wants to go but wants to go down instead of up.

I verified I am a noob in training. Wrong about most of what I said. Cap nuts are correct, props are wrong because upper shell is incorrectly installed.

Still unsure how GPS being a quarter turn off would affect liftoff. Asking for a sequence of operation from DJI would obtain a 1,000 page book written in ChinEnglish....ugh. Probably best I don't know, but make sure I don't do it.

Just hope original poster updates us.

Thanks,

Buk said:
I verified I am a noob in training. Wrong about most of what I said. Cap nuts are correct, props are wrong because upper shell is incorrectly installed.

Still unsure how GPS being a quarter turn off would affect liftoff. Asking for a sequence of operation from DJI would obtain a 1,000 page book written in ChinEnglish....ugh. Probably best I don't know, but make sure I don't do it.

Just hope original poster updates us.

Thanks,

The rotation of the GPS has no effect on the flight, this is a basic antenna and the compass is in a separate unit. The issue is when you turn the shell 90 degrees the prop rotation indicators will all be reversed so if you put the props on as this shows you with the shell on wrong. All props will be reversed so instead of lift your generating down force, great on a race car but rather useless on a quadcopter. :lol:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20