Phantom determining elevation

Reaction score
Curious question I have that unfortunately since I live in the flat lands of Texas I can't test out.

Does the P3 determine height based on where it started as being 0'? So, example... You are at the Grand Canyon and on top of the canyon you take off and then take your P3 down into the canyon valley. Will it show elevation of a negative value??

Or... You start flying toward a mountain with the ground gradually gaining elevation as you get closer. If you fly up the face of the hill and hit the 400' max elevation but the hill is 500' high will it still continue to go up or will you be limited until you change the max height?

If you fly below the take off point the height will show as a negative. Displayed height is _always_ reported from the take off height. If you are low enough (10 feet or less) and have VPS turned on than VPS will report the distance to the ground currently under the P3.

Curious question I have that unfortunately since I live in the flat lands of Texas I can't test out.

Does the P3 determine height based on where it started as being 0'? So, example... You are at the Grand Canyon and on top of the canyon you take off and then take your P3 down into the canyon valley. Will it show elevation of a negative value??

Or... You start flying toward a mountain with the ground gradually gaining elevation as you get closer. If you fly up the face of the hill and hit the 400' max elevation but the hill is 500' high will it still continue to go up or will you be limited until you change the max height?
Yes to the negative value and you will be limited to he 400 foot maximum height, so you cant fly to the top unless you start higher on the mountain.

Yes to the negative value and you will be limited to he 400 foot maximum height, so you cant fly to the top unless you start higher on the mountain.
Ok, that makes sense. So change the max height if flying say from a canyon to a higher level or find a higher level to start from... :)

Had the same questions a while back as I was nervous about going over 400' and recording to the flight log exceeding the height limit. I'll fly up cliff faces and mountains here in Colorado frequently, starting at 0' flying up will soon show 700' for an altitude yet only 50' AGL.

Had the same questions a while back as I was nervous about going over 400' and recording to the flight log exceeding the height limit. I'll fly up cliff faces and mountains here in Colorado frequently, starting at 0' flying up will soon show 700' for an altitude yet only 50' AGL.
The 400' is so you don't collide with manned aircraft. If you're flying up the side of a mountain, it doesn't apply for obvious reasons.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic