Phantom Crashed. Tumbled down. No idea why.

I found a camera for $220. I cleaned her up. Put on new stickers. It didn't get scratched. It's not a total loss. I flew her twice and she flies true. There are a few cracks in the body by the motors so I'll need to get a new body soon. But for now you can't tell it's been in a crash.

I'm no pro, but technically I believe that if a prop isn't tight enough, it can fly off when the motor rpm is reduced from high speed, and the more abruptly the speed is reduced, the higher the chance of it happening.
The direction of rotation of the motors, naturally spin the props ON, so when a motor is spinning, and the speed is reduced, the momentum of the prop is trying to keep it moving in the "thread off direction.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Yeah. That makes sense.

I've learned with CF props, you need to tighten them well because the threads have no give where the plastic ones stretch. When they stretch they stay tight even when "not really tight". At least I know this now and can get back in the air soon with the cost being a camera. And props. I might ride the body out. I'll definitely change my pre-flight regime.

Every crash teaches us something. Just like real aviation.

should of just bought the p4 for $749

Reactions: pooch4
amazon

looks like everything

I was out flying in a park. I was wide open at about 25 feet after making one pass then a pretty tight turn. About 1 minute into my flight. I turned pretty hard right and pushed left stick forward to gain some altitude. Everything was fine to about 65 feet altitude. The maneuver was smooth. Then it just started tumbling and took a normal uncontrolled path down until it crashed. Display went into ATTI mode at the same time. I had calibrated it before and has 12 satellites I believe. I was full green, flying in P-GPS mode. I have had it go into ATTI mode at this park once before. That's why I've been calibrating every time I fly. The flight log showed it went in to ATTI mode four times over the final four seconds of the flight. It went ATTI to P GPS, back to ATTI to P GPS...you get the idea. I'm baffled.
Don't be baffled. There is no difference between the GPS in your Phantom, and the GPS in your car. Don't you hate it when your car loses GPS signal, even when there are at least 9 satellites registered on the device? Same thing here. Lose GPS, you're on your own (Atti) until GPS lock occurs again.

Still trying to work out how tight the props should be, don't want to damage the thread anyone know ?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Still trying to work out how tight the props should be, don't want to damage the thread anyone know ?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hand-tight. I know it's subjective, but I hand-tight them like I reseal a medicine bottle. I don't use the included tool. The trick is to check them for snugness before every flight.

One way to wear out those prop threads is when you have to frequently remove them for storage. For that reason, I bought a bag where it's not necessary to remove the props everytime I have to put the bird inside.

If your prop came off in flight, I am betting your motor stopped. Loss of GPS has nothing to do with prop loss.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj