Phantom Crashed. Tumbled down. No idea why.

Reaction score
I was out flying in a park. I was wide open at about 25 feet after making one pass then a pretty tight turn. About 1 minute into my flight. I turned pretty hard right and pushed left stick forward to gain some altitude. Everything was fine to about 65 feet altitude. The maneuver was smooth. Then it just started tumbling and took a normal uncontrolled path down until it crashed. Display went into ATTI mode at the same time. I had calibrated it before and has 12 satellites I believe. I was full green, flying in P-GPS mode. I have had it go into ATTI mode at this park once before. That's why I've been calibrating every time I fly. The flight log showed it went in to ATTI mode four times over the final four seconds of the flight. It went ATTI to P GPS, back to ATTI to P GPS...you get the idea. I'm baffled.

where you by any metal objects

Welcome Ghost Rider !
I am sorry to hear about your crash.:(
Not a very good first post. As for you problem. Still might need a bit more information as to what the conditions were. Normally it will go into Atti Mode when you lose your sats. Could it be you had a lot of tree cover? In this park is there alot of metal structures nearby or in the flight area? This can also cause you problems. Something in this park don't like you...LOL

Try to give as much information as possible on Phanton type, (Standard, Advance, Pro?) wind conditions, anything and everything. People here want to help. Are you new at this? Have you flown RC's before? These are some of the questions they will ask. Don't be offended, the more we know the better the answer we can give.
In the mean time you can use the search function here to look at similar threads on this subject. Scroll to the very bottom of this page and you will see similar threads on this subject you can check out.

You have came to the right place for information. Enjoy your time here. Be sure to read all you can. There are tons of threads on just about any subject you can think of that has to do with the quad-copters. The search function works well here. Use it often, you will find what ever you need. In that rare case that you can not, there are great people here to help. Thanks for coming to Phantom Pilots! You are family now.
If you need any help/parts, please visit:
www.PhantomHelp.com

Mike

Reactions: bluecruiser
My guess is one of the motor decide to take a early retirement. Losing sat will only make your quad harder to control.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Phantom Standard.
It wasn't an input crash.
It basically acted like the motors reversed or I lost a prop. It just went from flying to tumbling. Motors were still spinning. There are no trees. Just a wide open field.

Sticks were

Left = 100% forward, 63% right
Right = 100% forward.

Altitude - 62.7 feet
Distance - 411 feet
vertical speed - 16.1
Horizontal speed- 37.3

Heading was about 130 degrees back toward my initial heading after the turn. So I basically I had started the turn and was about to "hit the brakes" as I climbed but about that time is when the copter just started tumbling. Gained about four more feet of altitude before tumbling out of control to the ground.

Reactions: #BirdDog
maybe prop came off

My guess is one of the motor decide to take a early retirement. Losing sat will only make your quad harder to control.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Or I lost a prop somehow. My question is, why did it go in and out of ATTI mode during the time it was crashing?

How I would I lose a prop if I had already flown 1,300 feet at full speed? Even if I didn't tighten one?

maybe prop came off
I guess. I found it without one. I guess I didn't tighten one. The other three were snapped by the hub. I have CF DJI authentic props.

I figured I would crash because of pilot error. Not because one of my props wasn't tight enough. I really have no idea how I missed this. I can't say for sure I didn't tighten all four like I always do. Why this time?

I have to assume it's my fault for the prop. I can't prove otherwise. But I didn't hit anything or catch any wind. I had a catastrophic failure at full speed and it was unrecoverable. Losing flight and lift characteristics was always a concern because this isn't a plane. You can't fly it dead stick. That's why I tighten the rotors (by hand of course) and check the systems carefully before I fly full speed.

Last edited:
One of the intro videos does clearly state that despite being 'self tightening' props, you have to put them on firmly to start with. If they go on loose they will 'fly off at high speed'.

Wow. So you think you did lose a prop. Hardcore. To the shop it should go. I always make sure it's tight with a light tug on the motor as well. Live and learn. Hopefully not too expensive. You did not say all the actual
Damage you sustained.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Wow. So you think you did lose a prop. Hardcore. To the shop it should go. I always make sure it's tight with a light tug on the motor as well. Live and learn. Hopefully not too expensive. You did not say all the actual
Damage you sustained.

Total loss. Snapped the camera. Broke the body in about five places. Snapped three out of the four props. Surprisingly the motors look ok and it didn't break the landing frame.

I was going to replace it with a P3 Pro but I wasn't ready yet. Plus I can't sell it now.

..... If they go on loose they will 'fly off at high speed'.
I'm no pro, but technically I believe that if a prop isn't tight enough, it can fly off when the motor rpm is reduced from high speed, and the more abruptly the speed is reduced, the higher the chance of it happening.
The direction of rotation of the motors, naturally spin the props ON, so when a motor is spinning, and the speed is reduced, the momentum of the prop is trying to keep it moving in the "thread off direction.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

just check around and watch forum someone is always selling one at a good price

You could sell it as is on eBay. I'm sure you have would get good price for parts. I saw a crashed one go for over $300. Could. It believe it. Then use the money towards a pro or advanced.

I would get a p3a they really perform good

that would work Lightbridge is awesome

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers