Phantom crashed and won't take off

Reaction score
I got my first drone, a phantom 1, about a week ago. Its been a blast, and I love it. It came with three batteries but one of them was a bit bloated so I hadn't tested it out till yesterday. Everything was going fine till the drone just dropped from the sky onto a tree and hit the ground hard. The battery was no longer working. The two arms on the nose side had snapped. Last night I superglued the arms back on but now it is leaning heavily to the nose side and won't take off. I am very new to drones in general so any advice on what I could try to get this thing up and flying would be great.

Thank you so much,
Caleb

Last edited:
Hi Caleb, sounds like you had a tough introduction to your phantom! The causes of it flying "nose down" could be many. Are all the motors still spinning (by hand) as smoothly as each other? If the nose motor(s) are stiffer you might have a bent shaft. If they are ok you might need to think about the possibility of damage inside the bird, if you had to glue two arms back on (were they completely off?) there may have been damage done to the ESC's

Yes, both of the arms snapped off. The motors all seem to be spinning at the same speed. if the arms are bent even slightly will that interfere with the flying? I assume it would. Should I try replacing the shell? I don't want to put any more money into the drone if it isn't going to work. And what does ESC stand for?

Thank you!
Caleb

OK Caleb, if the arms snapped off and aren't fixed back into the original positions it will affect the stability of the drone. If they are out by just a small amount it will affect the thrust angle of the motors and props so the flight controller will have to fight to keep it in the air and this could account for it being "nose heavy" when you try to take off. In my opinion re-shelling it is the only way to make sure this isn't the major problem, also with glued arms any future crash is likely to see them fall off again.
Assuming everything else seems to be working as it should I think it may be worth getting a new shell but also think about getting another used P1 or FC40? The cost may not be much more than a new shell and you would have lots of spares!
ESC stands for Electronic Speed Controller, the Phantom has 4 and they feed power to each of the 4 motors.

OK Caleb, if the arms snapped off and aren't fixed back into the original positions it will affect the stability of the drone. If they are out by just a small amount it will affect the thrust angle of the motors and props so the flight controller will have to fight to keep it in the air and this could account for it being "nose heavy" when you try to take off. In my opinion re-shelling it is the only way to make sure this isn't the major problem, also with glued arms any future crash is likely to see them fall off again.
Assuming everything else seems to be working as it should I think it may be worth getting a new shell but also think about getting another used P1 or FC40? The cost may not be much more than a new shell and you would have lots of spares!
ESC stands for Electronic Speed Controller, the Phantom has 4 and they feed power to each of the 4 motors.
Ok, that's what I was thinking if nothing else is damaged. I will keep my eye open for some used drones. Thank you so much for your help! I am very glad there are websites like this one where newbies like me can get advice .

Have a great day!
Caleb

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31