Phantom Crash from 250 feet into the Jungle - battery issue?

Reaction score
I think it was a battery issue but DJI doesn't see it the same way and they declined to offer me a new battery. Thankfully the drone survived the crash with no real damage other than dirty motors (tough lil bugger) She sat in the jungle for almost 30 hours while we searched for her. Rain started 20 min after we found her :D Nothing left to do but laugh at the situation.
Happy Flying - don't try to recreate this scene!!! he he

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB1xJp6q-ZA[/youtube]

Re: Phantom Crash from 250 feet into the Jungle - battery is

Yes that looks like a battery failure unless you did the CSC by mistake. Motors clearly cut out. Send your video to DJI along with the battery. They should replace anything that is damaged.

Costac said:
I think it was a battery issue but DJI doesn't see it the same way and they declined to offer me a new battery. Thankfully the drone survived the crash with no real damage other than dirty motors (tough lil bugger) She sat in the jungle for almost 30 hours while we searched for her. Rain started 20 min after we found her :D Nothing left to do but laugh at the situation.

Lindo video amigo, digo el paisaje!!. Por suerte no le paso nada. Abrazo! :D

Alexbar said:
Costac said:

Lindo video amigo, digo el paisaje!!. Por suerte no le paso nada. Abrazo! :D

El pájaro es muy duro, gracias a Dios

ianwood said:
Yes that looks like a battery failure unless you did the CSC by mistake. Motors clearly cut out. Send your video to DJI along with the battery. They should replace anything that is damaged.

The battery was over 30 days old so they said it was out of warranty and haven't gotten back to me once I sent in a screen shot showing that it only had 22 charges on it. I was going for a time lapse of the clouds moving over the mountain so i was hovering with no input from the sticks when it happened. I love my phantom 2 but have had two batteries mess up in the last 3 months. One swelled terribly but since i purchased through Amazon they credited me with no questions but the other was purchased through Citi Drone and while they were helpful in directing me to DJI they said their hands were tied in return and it only had 19 charges. $7 a flight in battery fees is a bit expensive and it has me thinking of selling my Phantom and going to a build your own drone.

ianwood said:

I am terrified of this, do you know if there is anyway to predict when there is a high chance of battery failure? Is it when potential drops below 11.1 volts? My battery usually goes down to about 10.9 volts and I am wondering if this means it could fall out of the sky at any moment. (I also have an led light upgrade which further takes power away, but the battery still drops to 10.9v without the light.)

helishmeli it is a scary thing. I lost confidence in the Phantom for a few weeks after this and was scared to fly over the jungle, near water etc because it happened without warning. This was a nearly new Phantom 2 with roughly 43 flights and that battery only had 19 charges. I have had no more issues since and have regained confidence but....who knows what tomorrow will bring.

Update - I finally got a good customer service agent on the phone with help from Sam at Citi Drone directing me. They will take the battery back for inspection and let me know about an exchange. That is a lot better than - Sorry, your battery was purchased more than 30 days ago so we can't do anything for you.
Costa C

Which model was this?

Obviously enough battery to keep camera running. Did you lose power at impact or did you have a video for a few minutes?

rrmccabe said:
Which model was this?

Obviously enough battery to keep camera running. Did you lose power at impact or did you have a video for a few minutes?

Phantom 2 with 1st gen 3d gimbal - I had over 20 minutes of video after crash. about 12 ??? with red lights from phantom still on.

Really hard to say. So glad you had a good ending.

Thanks rrmccabe! Me too. My wife wasn't happy that the bird spent the night in the jungle and was adamant about me not getting another one! Thank God I found her!

Costac said:
. My wife wasn't happy that the bird spent the night in the jungle and was adamant about me not getting another one! Thank God I found her!

You must be talking about the Phantom :lol:

If you were talking about your wife she would have had to say you should buy a couple spares.

Ha ha ha - Yes! Glad I found the Phantom.

Have you found a good locating device in case it happens again?

Great video by the way. :cool:

Happy endings are the best.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4