phantom connection broken

Reaction score
So I have a dumb question. If I get the "phantom connection Broken" does this activate the RTH function? The manual talks about if out of remote control range "control signal lost" activates the RTH function.
The reason why I am asking is that I have the stage 2 antenna and can only get 1000 feet before I get "phantom connection Broken" and it returns back to me RTH. I never get the other screen with the yellow warning "control signal lost" I am not sure if the wifi gets lost followed by the control signal thus actuating the RTH, since I never see the other warning.
The manual never says anything about if both signals will activate the RTH function only states that if the control signal is lost...
I'm just trying to diagnose which antenna is bad 5.8 or 2.4. I already switched the pinwheel with the helix and get the same distance.
I know someone mentioned that dji might limit distance for the first few flights. I have flown over 14 flights. I even tried the FVP booster V3 and still could only get 1230 ft at 350ft high. I am trying to get more flights under my belt but with the weather I have been very limited and today we have a heat wave 34 degrees and rain :cry:

Phantom connection broken means you have lost wifi to the fpv control signal lost means you have lost rc signal.

As for you loosing them could be that first you loose the wifi connection and then because you can't see any fpv you don't get to know that when the rc lost the signal as for if it's happening on less distance firstly I have never heard that dji has some distance restrictions on first few flights secondly you may want to hook up to your assistant software and increase the distance and altitude and last I hope your aiming your antennas towards your bird hopefully that would resolve the issue.

saao said:
Phantom connection broken means you have lost wifi to the fpv control signal lost means you have lost rc signal.

As for you loosing them could be that first you loose the wifi connection and then because you can't see any fpv you don't get to know that when the rc lost the signal as for if it's happening on less distance firstly I have never heard that dji has some distance restrictions on first few flights secondly you may want to hook up to your assistant software and increase the distance and altitude and last I hope your aiming your antennas towards your bird hopefully that would resolve the issue.

Yeah I was wondering that too what comes first the chicken or the egg LOL

I knew that the wifi connection was lost but it always would start RTH and I would regain the wifi and watch it coming back with the RTH on the screen.

I have looked at all my connections and glued the cables to the board with hot glue. the other connectors tightened with the 8mm wrench.
So I did buy another wifi unit on ebay along with some rp-sma cables just incase the wifi unit is bad. I'm just waiting for them to get here to rule that out. Just frustrating when I read other going double the distances with the same mod

saao said:
My bird without any mods used to give me 3000 feet distance with a 300 altitude you should be getting more something is wrong I doubt it's your wifi unit could be the antennas

I would be happy with that.
Yes

No mods and stock antennas on my quad would get me just under 3000ft. Then install V+UP app which has boost option and quad would get FPVLR stage 3 antenna kit and installed the controller antenna only to start with, and ran into all kinds of problems. Went back to another all stock controller I had and continued on at 4400ft and stayed there. The stage 3 kit now sits collecting dust.

If you are getting a connection lost at a 1000ft I would have to think the part you modified in the controller connection is not good. That point is so easy not to do right or have a problem at. You may have to end up replacing that module and start out fresh and then use your hot glue.

flyNfrank said:
No mods and stock antennas on my quad would get me just under 3000ft. Then install V+UP app which has boost option and quad would get FPVLR stage 3 antenna kit and installed the controller antenna only to start with, and ran into all kinds of problems. Went back to another all stock controller I had and continued on at 4400ft and stayed there. The stage 3 kit now sits collecting dust.

If you are getting a connection lost at a 1000ft I would have to think the part you modified in the controller connection is not good. That point is so easy not to do right or have a problem at. You may have to end up replacing that module and start out fresh and then use your hot glue.

Yeah I have a stock wifi unit coming. I was just wondering if I could figure out what was wrong. I'm not bashing the stage 2 kit. I probably did something wrong. I just hate not knowing which side is the bad side wifi or controller. I was hoping to get my wifi unit today but doesn't matter since its raining.

I thought you were the one that stated something about possible software restriction. I was hoping that was my problem sigh

Roseto75 said:
It's all about the cables. You can try replacig the cables inside the extender.
I just replaced them and really want to test it, but we are getting lots of snow today grrr

Roseto75 said:
It's all about the cables. You can try replacing the cables inside the extender.
I think you mean inside the copter. If so there's a clamp that holds the cable inside the bird where it transitions out to the underside of the copter. It looks a little daunting, is there anything I need to know before I take that apart?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4