Phantom connection broken

Reaction score
When I get the message saying "Phantom connection broken" I just want to make sure that doesn't mean I actaully lost control of the Phantom but only that the camera (WiFi) connection is lost, is that correct?

I encountered this a couple of times and until now I've only seen this message for a second or two but today I got this message and it stayed on the screen and the Phantom was too far away for me to spot in with my eyes and I was a bit scared because I had some water between myself and the Phantom.

I waited for maybe 10-15 seconds to see if the message would go away but when it didn't I decided to play it safe so I initiated the fail safe mode by flipping S1 to the bottom position (I'm in Naza mode) and after a couple of seconds I got the 'Coming home' message on the screen and sure enough and to my big joy I soon heard the well-known buzzing sound and seconds after I spotted her and took manual control and landed without any issues.

I searched in the manual and as far as I could tell getting this message 'Phantom connection broken' indicates the WiFi connection is broken and not the actual connection between the remote control and the Phantom but again would be nice to have this confirmed. Also, what kind of message will I get in the event the connection between the remote control and the Phantom is broken?

What you got is related to the Remote Control. Wifi is Signal Lost. These are the only two message you will ever get when connections are broken. When you do get the 'Phantom connection broken' it's best to point the 'side' of the antenna toward your quad. With stock antennas, at no time will you ever want the tip of the antenna pointing toward the quad, just the side only. Also use the reception display area in the upper right corner of the screen from the device you are using. I hope this helps, and more importantly I hope this info helps you get out of a bind at some point.

Thanks for the advice!

A bit strange though why the manual speaks about Wi-Fi Signal Intensity on page 34 when discussing the Phantom Connection Broken message and then they refer to another section which doesn't seem to exist...at least not in the same manual which is the official manual from DJI.

Hmm...

Just had a look at this thread and looking at one of the first screenshots on page 1 in that thread also shows a 'Phantom Connection Broken' message when discussing FPV range so are you 100% positive it's not the other way around that a Phantom Connection Broken message indicates the WiFi Extender lost it's connection and the Signal lost message is what you get in case you loose the actual control of the Phantom?

Forgot to add the link, here it is:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=13496

flyNfrank said:
What you got is related to the Remote Control. Wifi is Signal Lost. These are the only two message you will ever get when connections are broken. When you do get the 'Phantom connection broken' it's best to point the 'side' of the antenna toward your quad. With stock antennas, at no time will you ever want the tip of the antenna pointing toward the quad, just the side only. Also use the reception display area in the upper right corner of the screen from the device you are using. I hope this helps, and more importantly I hope this info helps you get out of a bind at some point.
"Phantom Connection Broken" is the message displayed when you have lost wifi connection. "Control Signal Lost" is the message displayed if the tx control signal is lost. After 6 seconds of the latter, the craft will come home and the "Coming Home" message is displayed. As long as you have 6 or more sats. If not it will land right where it is, drifting with the wind.

If all you got was "Phantom Connection Broken" then your control signal was fine and it was not absolutely necessary to initiate RTH. Although if you feel like that is the only way you are comfortable bringing it back in that situation there is certainly nothing wrong with that.

flyNfrank said:
I believe you got it reversed and the OP is correct:
When WiFi signal is lost you get: Phantom Connection Broken.
When the bird looses the 5.8 Ghz signal from the Remote Controller, and assuming Wi-Fi connection is still good, you get: CONTROL SIGNAL LOST, and if the bird has GPS lock you'll then get: GOING HOME.
Just to be clear we are discussing the P2V+.

Thanks a lot for confirming this guys.

This makes sense since my Phantom didn't go into fail safe mode automatically today.

Reason I initiated fail safe mode manually was it's hard to bring the quad home without FPV when you don't have visual contact ;)

Yep, tried Home Lock too but only for testing the feature.

Today I didn't dare using it since I wasn't 100% sure if I lost only the WiFi connection or the connection to the Phantom.

Now I know next time it happens and feels great learning new stuff :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers