Phantom confused in GS

Reaction score
I've noticed on the last GS missions after a camera firmware update and also IOS app update that my vision2+v3 appears to be confused as it reaches a waypoint. It will stop at a waypoint, pause then turn in the direction of its next waypoint, then turn toward its prior heading, then again turn toward its next waypoint and continue on its mission. It acts as if it's confused as what direction it Ned's to go. I'm getting worried about a flyaway! Anyone else experienced this? I have a locator mounted behind the camera on a camera guard, but I didn't notice this prior to the app upgrade. Any thoughts?

Funny you should mention that, it was something i noticed on a GS mission i did a few days ago, watch this video at about 1.10 as it reaches the end of the first waypoint it turns right then left then right again and continues, when it reaches the second waypoint at 3.53 it does it again but does the 3rd waypoint with no issues, never noticed it before.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAfDVOriqDg[/youtube]

Yet on this video which was shot about 1 week earlier it doesn't do it

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbRMlKOBfdY[/youtube]

Strange behaviour, wondered if its distance from home point that causes it.

The earlier one was most definately on the original app but cant remember if i used the new or old app for the second one.

I flew a short mission today and again it acts confused on one of the way points. Sometimes worse than others. I wonder if it's caused by the yaw circle tha t I've read about. My bird doesn't yaw on a dime, but I didn't think it was that bad. I don't know if a IMU advanced calibration with all the leveling stuff would help or not. My main concern is that I don't want to loose my bird!

Nice video. If you ever get around Pateley Bridge be sure and take some videos please. I lived there about 40 years ago ! My goodness I am getting old. But the short time I was there I loved it. thanks.

I have this exact same issue. I don't know what the cause is, but it doesn't bother me so I just live with it. I don't think it is anything to worry about. I prefer it did do what it does because it wastes time and battery, but it is important enough for me to worry about. I wouldn't be surprised it all Phantoms act this way but no one (like me) has mentioned it.

Rich

R4boat said:
Nice video. If you ever get around Pateley Bridge be sure and take some videos please. I lived there about 40 years ago ! My goodness I am getting old. But the short time I was there I loved it. thanks.

I live not too far from Pately Bridge, Otley. Seeing your current location it's highly probable we worked at the same place though a few generations apart though I've recently retired due to ill health. Not quite Pately Bridge but in the same area, I made this video at my local flying club between Norwood and Otley, you may recognise Armscliffe Cragg which has been here for little longer than 40 years ;) I do intend to get some video from around the reservoirs - Swinsty, Leathly, Thruscross, - in the next few months.

http://youtu.be/CGck2MGI3cE

Back to the original question. I use the Groundstation App on my DJI F550 Hex on iOS version 8.1.3. The Groundstation APP is the older pre April 2014 release ( 1.3.56 ) without the No Fly Zones. I was doing some testing this morning with it and didn't notice the confused issues others have noticed in this thread. It maybe down to either the difference in the App version or the flight controller, I'm using the Naza M V2 with version 4.02 of the firmware.

Regards

Nidge

Hi,

maybe it has something to do with the GPS accuracy and the continuous correction of it's Position while flying to a waypoint. I've noticed this behaviour on only one (!) waypoint so far. The Phantom corrects it's Position not by moving sideways but by physically turning it's "nose". As it approaches the waypoint and while it is still not on it's exact planned track the yaw becomes greater since the angle to the planned track becomes wider.

So in my opinion this is caused by the final correction to get closer to the planned track/waypoint before finally continuing to the next waypoint.

Regards,
Kent

richparry said:
I wouldn't be surprised it all Phantoms act this way but no one (like me) has mentioned it.

Rich

like I said watch the 2nd Video it simply doesnt do it, so its not all Phantoms

crash1sttime said:
richparry said:
I wouldn't be surprised it all Phantoms act this way but no one (like me) has mentioned it.

Rich

Now that I think about it... somebody mentioned an odd behavior when creating a turn more than 90 degrees - are the turns you all are seeing the behavior on more than 90 degrees per chance?

Buckaye said:
crash1sttime said:
richparry said:

Rich

Now that I think about it... somebody mentioned an odd behavior when creating a turn more than 90 degrees - are the turns you all are seeing the behavior on more than 90 degrees per chance?

watching the first video, the quad would have had to turn more than 90 degrees, it was going to the 11 oclock position then turned to 3 oclock, so you may be onto something, i will run a GS mission when i get time and program exact 90 degree and some with variances and see what happens

Buckaye said:
crash1sttime said:
richparry said:

Rich

Looking back I think all my turns where this occurred were over 90 degrees. Probably over 120.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik