Phantom Concerns

Reaction score
Hello all,

I purchased the Phantom 1 (version 1.1.1) from a coworker that was brand new. After doing countless hours/days of research and learning from him(an experienced phantom pilot for 8 months) I was ready to fly myself. After learning, researching, and flying this phantom weekly(if not daily) for 3 months I am extremely happy except for a couple flights. The first major issue I had- I was out hunting in arkansas and did not calibrate the compass before flying it away from my normal flight grounds in Georgia. It was late at night, I was flying very high when the phantom started to drift off into the distance away from me. I lost all control. It looked like the phatom was only pitching and not elevating/descending. The first thing I did was take off GPS mode to ATTI mode and was unable to regain control. Then I switched transponder off hoping it would return home. Nothing. After a good 60-90 seconds of watching nothing happen, I was very nervous. The phantom just kept drifting further and further away. I must remind everyone- I had great GPS signal before take off, all rapid flashing green lights, waited anther minute before taking off with slow blinking green lights. The home point was set. Well, FAILSAFE did not do its job here. I am guessing the phantom got out of range with transponder. I have no idea why FAILSAFE did not work. I know if it did not have great GPS sateelites then it should have hovered and landed straight down, if not return to home position. My next move was jump on a 4 wheeler and race towards the phantom. I tracked it down and in the distance I saw it coming in for an auto landing. Still was unable to get control via transponder, but I did recover the phantom. Thank God.

Well this worried me and I read into all the flyaways and did lots of research in hearing similar stories... I have been flying the phantom for a couple more months when it did the same thing last night. This time in the city of Atlanta, with no 4 wheeler and open fields to track it down. As soon as I realized it was flying away, I switched to ATTI mode and phantom was unresponsive. Turned transponder off and still nothing. I got in my car to drive closer and after a couple minutes turned back on transponder which I was able to regain control. Flashing red light, low battery warning and it was VERY far away. Flew it home and landed safely before the battery died. Can anyone weigh in for help? I believe its the calibration issue or maybe cell towers? I was clear of powerlines so that cant be the issue. Not sure?

gth723c said:
did not calibrate the compass before flying it away from my normal flight grounds in Georgia
Did you not calibrate the compass in Atlanta either?

Per the DJI manual, you should always calibrate the compass when flying in a new location.

My friend calibrated the compass when I first purchased it, but after that, no, I have not calibrated the compass. I am asking him to re-calibrate it today for me. Do you think that was the issue? If the compass was not calibrated, would that explain why the phantom did not enter FAILSAFE and return home both times? I know it says on the website that if the gps signals are good enough it will... I am guessing both times the gps satellites were not good enough? Thanks for the quick reply!

Okay I just recallibrated the compass and it is flying great. Next question- Can someone help with which downloads I should install and how to get the CL and HL positions to work? I believe by default they are turned off but I have to download the software to turn them on? Any advice on how to do that please?

Also I downloaded the DJI NAZA-M V2 software and have it installed on my computer just need help on what to do to get it on my phantom 1 and controller/transponder?? When I connect phantom to computer via usb nothing happens, do I need to turn battery on as well? where to go what to do?

Thank you thank you thank you

I have to assume the reasoning to my initial post with flyaways was due to out of range lost connection with transponder, any advice on what to purchase to extend the range from transponder to phantom? Also what the ranges are would be helpful. 350 meters without the extender? and with?

If you get good GPS before taking off, it will return should contact be lost - not just drift away.
You should get at least 300 metres with the standard setup (and often twice that) - which is well out of sight in anything but ideal conditions - and more than enough for most users unless a pure distance junkie!
Bear in mind you need more or less line of sight to maintain connection no matter what you do to boost signal.
Choice of take-off point and suitable altitude are very important to maintain contact.

Thanks 4wd- I had great GPS before taking off both times. solid flashing green lights, no red, steady green lights, waited an additional minute then took off for flights. Maybe having the compass not calibrated caused the slow drift away and no return home when I lost contact? To be clear the first time it flew away after going out of range, I did not have a wifi device/camera attached, was in the middle of the woods in Arkansas hunting with NO cell towers, powerlines, or any radio interferences. This is what concerns me. Please tell me your thoughts. Is it the compass? Do I need to re-calibrate the IMU?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20