Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Phantom charger or PSU?

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by Vertigo, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Vertigo

Does anyone know how the phantom battery charging actually works? The charger seems to put out a constant 17.5V, regardless of the load or charge state of the battery, and it has only 2 pins, so am I right saying it isnt really a charger, but simply a DC power supply and all the charging logic is inside the battery?

2. Wibble

Yes you are correct I think. That is what I measured as well.
    It really annoys me - especially with battery drills. That is why the replacement batteries are so expensive. You are in effect throwing away a charger aswell when a battery dies.
    Why the hell they don't make the charger intelligent so the batteries are cheaper is beyond me!

3. Trackman1

They do make the battery's cheap. Then they charge a 500% or more markup.

4. Vertigo

Not only that, you carry the weight of the charger in the air, where its absolutely useless.

Anyway, just wanted to make sure, because I just bought this cheap chinese 'charger':
    DJI Phantom 3 Battery And Transmitter Charger Plates 110-240V Input 4 In 1

To be able to charge 3 batteries in parallel. If the 'charger' really is just a PSU, then checking voltages and polarity should be enough to be fairly confident no bad things will happen. Voltages do seem fine, and I like the fact there is a tiny variation in voltage between all charge ports, which I interpret as proving they are not just in parallel.

Wibble likes this.