Phantom Case recommendation

Case came this morning :D Time to get the carving knife out :twisted:

Once again many thanks for the link Shrimpy

xgeek said:
Case came this morning :D Time to get the carving knife out :twisted:

Once again many thanks for the link Shrimpy

I just used a felt tip pen to draw around the various bits and pieces and then used the electric carving knife. Watch where you do it, I made a hell of a mess on the floor in the lounge. Anyone would have thought I had sheared a cat with the complaints I suffered. Didn't stop me doing the second case in the same place though ....... :twisted:

Thanks for the tips. Fook me how hard is that label to get off!!!!! Maybe I should have used triple filtered virgin olive oil rather than my normal stuff :lol:

xgeek said:
Thanks for the tips. Fook me how hard is that label to get off!!!!! Maybe I should have used triple filtered virgin olive oil rather than my normal stuff :lol:

Yes its the only downside of the case. I spent ages scraping it before I resorted to the olive oil. On my second case for my old Phanton Vision I am not going to bother removing it, I will just stick something better over the top. :D

What do you think of the build quality and foam?

Build quality is excellent and it looks like it can take a few knocks. For £39 including delivery it is a bargain!!. Foam look nice and firm. Have not tried cutting yet. Will do that tomorrow (had a couple of glasses of wine tonight so best not to play with an electric carving knife until the morning :lol: )

Well so far so good. Still have all my fingers :lol: Decided to keep the BP in its box. Also decided to keep bits and bobs in the original white box that came with the phantom (spare screws, tools, velro, duck tape, cable ties etc) rather than cutting more foam. Just waiting on my Horizon antenna set to be delivered (shipped Wednesday so hope I get them today) to see when I can store them.

Attachments

• Case.JPG
    Case.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 328
Looks good, I'm thinking of getting one of these for taking my p2 to spain, in carry on luggage. Usually fly BA and the hand baggage sizes are - 56cm x 45cm x 25cm (22in x 18in x 10in) including handles, pockets and wheels.

It mentions being 57cm long, JUST outside their tolerance. Is it actually 57cm long? Otherwise it looks perfect.

MrC said:
Looks good, I'm thinking of getting one of these for taking my p2 to spain, in carry on luggage. Usually fly BA and the hand baggage sizes are - 56cm x 45cm x 25cm (22in x 18in x 10in) including handles, pockets and wheels.

It mentions being 57cm long, JUST outside their tolerance. Is it actually 57cm long? Otherwise it looks perfect.

I have just tried to measure it for you. Its the 2 side locking handles thats the issue. I would say it is almost dead on 57cm. If those lugs were not there then it measures 53.5cm across.

If you look at the images you can see the side clips have protective walls. I reckon it would be possible to take some material off of those to bring it down even further. You could even lose the side lugs and clips all together which would certainly make it fit. Might not be pretty but I actually think that can be a good anti-theft feature myself.

I have 2 of these cases, one for my Vision and one for my P2. One day I will want to fly with my Phantom. The cases are cheap so I would not hesitate to take a hacksaw to the side lugs so that I have peace of mind that the case won't get refused. Not scheduled to fly for sometime so not going to be doing that yet.

Yeah it's Shrimpy's fault for posting the link :lol:

It's a great case and is perfect for the Phantom and all its bits. Hopefully the will get more in soon

Shrimpfarmer said:
MrC said:

I have just tried to measure it for you. Its the 2 side locking handles thats the issue. I would say it is almost dead on 57cm. If those lugs were not there then it measures 53.5cm across.

If you look at the images you can see the side clips have protective walls. I reckon it would be possible to take some material off of those to bring it down even further. You could even lose the side lugs and clips all together which would certainly make it fit. Might not be pretty but I actually think that can be a good anti-theft feature myself.

I have 2 of these cases, one for my Vision and one for my P2. One day I will want to fly with my Phantom. The cases are cheap so I would not hesitate to take a hacksaw to the side lugs so that I have peace of mind that the case won't get refused. Not scheduled to fly for sometime so not going to be doing that yet.

Many thanks for measuring. Yep I was eyeing up the side clamps to chop off. Does it close well enough without using the side clamps?
To be honest, I cant see BA grumbling too much but you never know.
Thanks for the Gatwick offer (which is where I fly from), but now both places I have seen it are out of stock grrrrrrrrr!! So hold off on that unless you need to know for yourself.
Will have to keep my eye on a restock of these, really need something.

I have seen the maplin offering ( http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/large-high-im ... rior-n14gr ) but I think that is a little smaller. The tr139 looks perfect.

Thanks again.

I travelled through Luton today, and my case did not fit in the EasyJet carry on luggage checker. Had to check it in. Luckily the case was empty as I was taking it back home with me, so was not too bothered.

I think that before I next fly that I will indeed hacksaw down nearly a centimetre on either side as it nearly fits.

What does worry me though, is that EasyJet only guarantees a case with a length of 50cm as hand luggage, with the possibility of having to check the bag in. You guys think that a Phantom would be ok in the hold in this case?

I think these cases are really tough. Everything inside mine has nowhere to move so I would not be worried about the contents shaking, also the strength of the case would support a lot of weight. If it had to go in the hold then I would probably put an additional strap around it, especially if I cut the side latches off. Hopefully though once those side latches are cut back it would be accepted as hand luggage.

You would have to take the batteries out though of course.

Take batteries out? I thought they went in carry on luggage? Also best left in the device rather than loose?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic