Phantom Carry case on the cheap!

Reaction score
DJI Phantom Carry case
I’ve seen some expensive pre-made carry boxes out there to carry our DJI Phantoms on trips or to flying spots. Many of them way too expensive for my blood, including a water proof box. Kind of overkill for me.

Being that I’m kind of cost continence, I started a search for something I could use and protect my investment. I even thought about a large insulated cooler and then cut some foam to size as coolers are a dime a dozen. I settled on a Plano fishing/gun storage tub. It can be locked and the Phantom fits in there with props on. $17.99 for the case at Academy Sports.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/plano-s ... no&Ntk=All

My next step was to go to a chain crafts store but was bowled over to find foam for the size of the case would be $40.00! Than I had an idea. The company I work for sends a lot of parts to me and they pack the box with the liquid foam that they pour into a bag and it takes the shape of whatever is in the box and hardens into foam. Light and protective and most of all free.
I found it was very easy to cut with a serrated knife so that I could make a spot for the landing gear to slide down into the foam and even cut spots out for the batteries or any other accessories. Came out great and protects the Phantom well. You could go as far as your imagination. All for $17.99. Check out the pics.

Attachments

• photo(1).JPG
    photo(1).JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 577
  • photo(3).JPG
    photo(3).JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 578
  • photo 1(2).JPG
    photo 1(2).JPG
    181.2 KB · Views: 549
  • photo 2(2).JPG
    photo 2(2).JPG
    168.4 KB · Views: 563
  • photo 3(2).JPG
    photo 3(2).JPG
    154.1 KB · Views: 580
Nice idea and thank you for the walk thru.

I just recently started to transport mine more than usual and this could be what I need without breaking the bank. I won't spend $$$ for some of those overkill cases either.

I did the same kind of thing but i found a tool chest with wheels and a pull handle and bought some seat foam from Walmart. I probably have $40 in mine but i have TONS of extra space

I forgot to mention that I also put a piece of foam in the top cover too. That way it's covered on all sides.

Before I put the case together my PH was just hangin around the house with pieces here & there. Just waiting to be broken by a bystander.

What did they charge you at Walmart for the foam?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20