PHANTOM CANBUS -> NAZA CANBUS

Reaction score
Hello.
I have an H3-3D gimbal which works well on a Phantom when connected to the Zenmuse connector.
I wanted to attempt to make it transferable to my NAZA M v2 controlled Hexa.

I have a spare, DJI CANBUS connectors, and do not want to purchase the H3-3D GPU
(do not intend paying 100.- , when it is given 'for free' with the purchase of the H3-3D Naza Version,
...at the same price)

Anything I need to know before interfacing the GND, CANBUS +ve and -ve,
from my H3-3D Phantom version to the Naza M V2 PMU ?
I've tried scoping for the signal waveform levels on both the Zenmuse Bus on the Phantom, and also the CANBUS signals out of the NAZA PMU. They are different.

My Questions are:

1. Is there need for a CAN level translator

2. Are the protocols of the CANBUS coming out of the zenmuse SMD socket on the Phantom2 , different from the CANBUS protocols coming out from the NAZA M v2 PMU ?

Yes, I have read that, and it actually does not mention the need for the Zenmuse GCU !!
(Partly because it assumes that one would have purchased the correct version)
diagram.png

What I want to do is clearly stated in my first post above.
BUT...
without having to purchase the H3-3D GCU,
and if necessary, do the signal level translations with my own electronics.

95% sure you need the GCU. The reason it isn't needed on the P2 is that it is built-in to the main board.

According to the excellent work by RCDF550 here,
it seems that the Phantom's MainBoard CPU is driving the CANBUS through a level converter.
This implies that the Zenmuse H3-3D Has the equivalent converter back to 3v3 levels on arrival.

Here's an extract from the schematic of the P330CB-H3-2D V2, Central Board from a P2.

phantom zenmuse schem.jpg

This leads me to think that the protocol AND levels should be the same, if the H3-3D is compatible with Phantom AND other DJI products.

Then Maybe the Zenmuse GCU, is just a switch mode power supply to bring compatibility to 3S to 6S supply voltages, and a breakout for the composite video signal.
I'm not sure about the USB connector on the GCU, and how that interfaces to the CANBUS.

I am asking here first, to obtain a heads'up if anyone has previously done what I would like to do,
and if anyone can shed some light, then its appreciated !

A detailed picture of Zenmuse GCU PCB ( top and bottom ) would be very welcome !

Ah, I see where you're going. You may be onto something. After all, their CAN hub is simply a set of splices. Not good at following schematics, I assume you have figured out the pin level I/O into the gimbal.

Reactions: GeorgeM
You cannot use a Zenmuse gimbal without a GCU. However, the cheapest way to get the GCU is to buy a Phantom 2 main board ($60). This also includes the Canbus adapter, so you don't need the PMUv2 either (ie, the P2 main board includes everything in the PMUv2 and the GCU). Oh, except for the LED, but you might already have that as a separate module. If not, it's cheap ($12). A P1 upgrade board also has the same functionality, though it costs a bit more ($75).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4