Phantom can be seen by ATC or not?

Even birds/goose can be seen on radar, near airports.

IflyinWY said:
I just had a conversation with a couple of Life-Flight nurses who are very concerned about drones. I asked what their pilots think of drones, the response, "they hate them". I found the response quite amusing when the conversation revealed that one of the nurses I was speaking with, and one of their pilots actually own's a drone.

By the end of the conversation, we all agreed; it's the few bad apples or just plain ignorance that will make life difficult for the rest of us.

FYI: Their company policy is to fly at or above 500' agl

So why the hatred ?
You just proved my point some of these reports from pilots I do not be leave they just do not like them so blame all on Drones I do not fly anymore but some of the talk from pilots at the hangers they think they own the sky and no else has a right back then it was RC planes , Hot air balloons , weather balloons . If your doing right while flying their should be no problem if you are doing wrong you should be fined and tossed in jail . We will not get a fair shake on this they will drop a few key words to get their way .

750r said:
IflyinWY said:
I just had a conversation...

So why the hatred ?
You just proved my point...

Good question, but I am sorry I led things off topic. :)

My oldest friend is a pilot for a med-evac company in Arizona. Small drones (Phantoms, etc.) are very much on their minds these days. His company has had some awareness seminars for their flight personnel and they keep a sharp eye out. BTW, my buddy is also a life long RC guy who flies everything from 4-meter competition gliders to 150cc aerobatic models to helicopters. He is very aware of the capabilities of RC aircraft and the new breed of "drone" operator who is not your typical modeler.

It was alluded to earlier but most radar systems are more than capable of picking up a Phantom once it's at an altitude it can be seen. However, systems are generally de-tuned to ensure that only (perceived) relevant information is provided to the controller. As compute power increases and the ability to determine and identify the Radar Cross Section (RCS) of different objects it may be possible to present a more informed dataset to a controller.

Birds and bats are more than visible on radar, indeed anti-birdstrike systems are in development.

You would be surprised what people are watching on radar systems including the many many thousands of objects in low earth orbit which are a lot smaller than you would imagine ;)

Hope this helps

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers