Phantom / Cable-Cam Guide Line Idea

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Phantom and I'm curious if anyone has tried (or heard of someone trying) to attach the unit to a cable guideline. My goal would be to capture a long distance "follow cam" of a downhill mtn biker thru tight trees in a straight line. If I can somehow rig a guide to the top of the phantom (think a hollow tube) and then attach that to a rope or cable it would keep the phantom from hitting a tree and allowing it to get some pretty cool high speed shots. Thanks!

I can't imagine how you would stretch a cable or line that tightly, without attachment points, so it wouldn't sag.

Also, the algorithms in the Naza controller are trying to keep it flying level, so the props would contact the line on
a steep grade.

The GPS unit is mounted to the inside of the top, so you wouldn't be able to put a hole in it, although I suppose you could
epoxy something to the outside.

However, necessity is the mother of invention, so perhaps you will become the one to invent this one. ;)

Perhaps sag wouldn't matter, if you used a rigid, rod-like attachment (wooden dowel?)... or perhaps two ... to attach the bottom of the Phantom's legs to the tube you mentioned. Then, instead of flying beneath the wire or rope, you could fly to the side. Have the set-up on the edge of a platform, table, etc until you can get the copter started and up to speed and then onwards and downwards. :) Mind you, I wouldn't want to try this. Gonna' have enough problems with possible crashes and fly-aways when I install the new firmware and Zenmuse gimbal. :) Also, don't know about stopping a contraption like that. :)

Why not just fly it behind and slightly above the bike?

Heck, if it's downhill, why use the Phantom anyway? Just use the GoPro attached to the wire ... with a weight for stability?

If you want to use a cable cam youd be better just getting a decent brushless gimbal and finding out how to mount that to the cable. The phantom isnt the most stable camera platform anyway but can get cool shots flying but no point trying to hook it up to a cable I think.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1