Phantom battery compartment cover keeps opening

Reaction score
Anyone else have this happen? I have a Phantom 1.1.1 and after I close the cover to the battery compartment, I wiggle it around to make sure it isn't partially clasped, but sometimes it still opens up on me during flight.

I've tried bending the edge upwards so the teeth part locks in too.

The more and more I fly it, the "harder" it is to keep the compartment locked. Any suggestions?

I was having this problem and found that it helps to bend the pos and neg cables flat against the end of the battery when closing the door. Maybe you've tried this? I'm assuming that you have pressure from the cables trying to open the door in flight but that may not be the case. Also, along these lines, if I hold the Phantom so the battery drops in from above it has a chance of missing the ledge at the back end of the battery slot. This then lets the battery drop in just a bit further making for room for the door to close.

Somebody posted a great idea for that on here somewhere a few days ago. It basically involved putting some Velcro on the front or top of the door, then attaching a strip of Velcro to the lid just above the door, and using a third piece to hold them together. Or something to that effect. And it looked a lot neater than I make it sound, I just can't find the thread now.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try bending the pos and negative closer.

I did see that thread about the Velcro but couldnt find it. I'll rig up something.

:)

Heat up the battery door tab with a heat gun and deflect it up a bit. I used a small piece of wood to hold it in position until it cooled down. Be careful not to apply too much heat and wrap a rag around the Phantiom to protect the rest of it. You need to deflect it up only about 1/16". It may take a couple of tries to get it right.

This worked for me. The other guys make a good point about making sure that the battery cables aren't trying to push it open.

I used a mutitool to cut a piece of plastic from the battery cover, and connect the battery on the outside. so there is no pressure from the battery during the flight.

e415bfbdb87a4361533e3bae0f9fd27b.jpg

Looks like a good workaround. What is the device attached to the door?

Same setup I have. Best way to go in my opinion.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjmzTMOEXxY[/youtube]

The device attached to the front is batter voltage monitor / buzzer. I have one myself. LOVE IT.

My review on the buzzer

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkCwUXi71b8[/youtube]

And the buzzer in action

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E3lEKn2ceM[/youtube]

cut some sides in the door for the wires, then heat up the plastic tab and bend it WAYYYYY upwards, that way when you click it close there is a large amount of pressure holding it against the latch

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers