Phantom Batteries

Reaction score
I'm sorry I don't have the link now but I watched a video where the presenter suggested we should let our batteries on the Phantom 3 cool right down after use before recharging them again, giving very good validation as to why.

Just a thought?

Now this might be a long shot and I'm in grave danger of making a complete prat of myself but here goes.

I bought an electric motor for my bike [bicyle] and after a while noticed after not too long into a journey the battery would simply cut out as if for no reason. By knocking the on/off switch I was able to restore power once again but soon discovered on a journey I may have to reset a few times even though there was lots of power in the battery.

The system is 36v and uses a Lithium battery. After watching the video I wondered was I having trouble with my battery because instantly when getting home, I was putting it onto charge.

The last couple of trips out with the bike I have let the battery cool down for an hour and can now report the battery hasn't failed into a journey yet!

As some Phantom pilots report their birds falling from the sky for no apparent reasons is it possible this is a Lithium battery problem while these batteries have been charged too soon after use?

Ideas anyone?

Last edited:
Putting a battery to charge immediately after using it not good for the battery. The temperature of battery rises when its used and reaches the limit and if you start charging immediately, it might further go up and damage battery elements permanently.

Falling off phantoms from sky is not related to charging in hot conditions. it was basically related to incorrect charge mapping by phantom FW if you use NOT fully charge batteries to start flying. The other reasons were flying in extreme cold conditions and not limiting the currents to derated values.

It sounds I have saved my bike battery by letting it cool thoroughly before recharging but have to say, I had no idea I should not recharge straight away so thanks to the Phantom video for that anyway.

Regards flying the Phantom in extreme conditions I was led to believe that Lithium batteries aren't as susceptible to cold but then I live in the UK where generally we don't have more than a few degrees of frost except for the very high mountains in Scotland, in winter.

Thanks for the advice.

It sounds I have saved my bike battery by letting it cool thoroughly before recharging but have to say, I had no idea I should not recharge straight away so thanks to the Phantom video for that anyway.

Regards flying the Phantom in extreme conditions I was led to believe that Lithium batteries aren't as susceptible to cold but then I live in the UK where generally we don't have more than a few degrees of frost except for the very high mountains in Scotland, in winter.

Thanks for the advice.
Phantom/ Battery FW has been modified in 1.6 to take care of extreme cold conditions, so no worries.

The intelligent DJI Phantom batteries will not take a charge if they are still too warm, and the error LEDs will blink when you try.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20