Phantom and FC40 cam

Reaction score
Hey.

I have a Phantom without cam. I have a cam by name FC40. What do i need to get this cam on my craft? Do i need a Wi-Fi Range Extender? I see the FC40 cam have wifi but it`s on 2.4G, and the controler is 2.4G

Steffen

DO NOT USE IT!

A regular Phantom 1 or 2 (non Vision) uses 2.4GHz for its control connection (Tx-Rx) and you should use 5.8GHz for FPV connections. The FC40 camera is only suitable for Phantoms that use 5.8GHz for control connection because it uses 2.4GHz too.

You'll very likely to experience loss of control/flyaway when you fly with a camera that emits a strong 2.4GHz signal so close to the Phantom's Rx.

Okay i understand, but the phantom 2 with gimbal and gopro, gopro use wifi 2.4g and can not be used. how do the gopro users fix it?

They use a separate 5.8GHz transmitter for the video signal and connect the video output from the camera to it.

This is what happens when you fly with a camera emitting a 2.4GHz signal.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u937rXvj1Jc[/youtube]

Idiots. And they call themselves professionals. :roll:

An expensive mistake.

stravn said:
Okay. Can i use a seperate transmitter for det video signal on my fc40?

If you wanted to (not sure if its possible), you can convert your phantom and receiver to 5.8ghz so you can use your fc40 cam

Not sure it's worth it though. Sounds like you are trying to save money as it is

Yeah i try to save some money but i think this project is to heavy and messy. :p

I have a one more question about te fc40 cam. Do the cam always send out wifi signal or can i turn the wifi off? Can i use the cam without livestream?

You can start/stop recording video with the red button on the camera. Dunno whether after a while it switches WiFi 'pairing' off similar to Bluetooth. If there's no device connected where it can send the video signal to over WiFi it can't so it doesn't.

Okay. So you mean that I can use fc40 to start record manually without wifi and have no trouble with my craft is flying? ;)

I don't know whether the FC40 cam will stop emitting a WiFi signal if after a while no device has contacted it. You could make it record manually and after 5 minutes or so load the DJI FC40 app and check whether the FC40 shows up. If it does then apparently the camera is not in 'WiFi sleep mode'. If it doesn't.... who knows. You'll need a radio spectrum analyser or something to determine whether the FC40 cam is emitting a signal or not. Have one of those lying around?

I wouldn't risk my Phantom trying it out in flight. You could take off the props and turn on the Tx and the Phantom and hold the FC40 cam near the Phantom and walk away with them from the Tx. If the Phantom starts doing funny things you'll be absolutely certain to never use it with your 2.4GHz Phantom. If it doesn't act funny that tells you nothing though.

Okay. I do not think i am going to use this cam, I am going to by me a Gopro and turn off the wifi and start recording without livestream. So in the future i am going to by me stuff so i can get livestream. I think this is a good idea, i can`t risk my Phantom. Do you think that is a good idea? :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic