Phantom advice first time owner, attaching GPS, safety etc

Reaction score
Hi all, a soon to be new Phantom Vision 2+ owner here looking for some basic advice to help me get the most out of my Phantom and operate it in the safest and best way possible to protect my investment, I've heard that this is the place to be for Phantom owners.

In my research I have found out about how these Phantoms can literally drop out of the sky (invalid battery message during flight), which is meant to be fixed by firmware update?
1. I’m going for the Vision 2+ is it too also effected by the invalid battery issue?

2. The other thing I have read about is about fly offs. Why does this occur? GPS swapping/confusion? Low GPS coverage?

3. I read that some people recommend attaching a gps to the drone to make sure you know where it is as a backup incase of this, and even suggested attaching a iPhone. Is attaching the iPhone a safe thing to do, what about the extra weight? Are there smaller GPS devices you can attach or?

4. Or does this thing have enough power to carry a Canon 7D DSLR?
5. Can I even unattach the camera on the Vision2+ if I wanted to?
6. Also can you attach a iPad to your controller to view the live Vision 2+ vision?
7. The other obvious thing to buy for a noob would be a spare battery and some POV goggles?
Is there anything else I should consider buying with this machine?

I will mainly be operating a low heights and definitely within line of sight and would do my best to identify possible hazards or safety concerns on each flight and would be using it for my own personal photography and in future may apply for a proper operator certificate that would allow commercial photography (licence is a requirement for commercial work in my country Australia).

I was initially put off by the possible scenarios and safety concerns that could happen when operating a drone but after I read some other user comments when you think about it a drone is no different to driving a car, or riding a bicycle where accidents can happen but as long as you use common sense and minimise risk where possible its like any other thing in life.

Any help would be great

Re: Phantom advice first time owner, attaching GPS, safety e

Welcome to the club.
To answer our question on viewing the camera output via ipad, iphone, look at the iosd mini and the ground station.
Both will send data signals to your ipad, iphone.
The ground station will, as I understand it, turn your ipad into a controller as well.
search youtube for ground station.

Re: Phantom advice first time owner, attaching GPS, safety e

thanks Suwanneguy, from what I can understand the Ground station just gives you controls of the machine and set waypoints etc and provides no vision?

Maybe if I just install the iphone app onto ipad it will just work if its supported?

Thinking about it no I'm not sure i would need FPV googles unless of course I could use them in conjunction with the phantom 2+ vision to iphone stream so I can have a second stream of video/FPV view or if I gave the goggles to someone else to view through etc

Anyone else have any advice for my other questions above? Any help would be great

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj