Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Phantom acting strange

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mengelman, Mar 8, 2014.

1. mengelman

I got my Phantom in early December 13. I had maybe 30 or more flights with the stock camera mount and it was rock steady. Performed perfectly. I was not happy with the stills and video so I ordered a FPV system and gimbal. Now it doesnt have that steady hover like it did new and I have had a flyaway and today I was flying about 5 feet high about 20 yards out and it just flipped over and went down suddenly. I am not using wifi my fpv is 900mgz so that shouldnt cause problems. It is a 1.1.1. I have done the compass calibration and Naza assistant says it does not need IMU calibration. I have completely lost confidence in it now.
    Also I was flying in a 200 acre field. No buildings or anything just a test flight. I dont know what else to do.

2. mengelman

Ok guess no one has any ideas or experienced this before?

3. davemcm

Ok guess you'll have to wait more than an hour after your first post for a reply... lol have a little patience.

As for that exact problem, i can't say i've ever experienced it, many other issues yes, mostly of my own doing, but not the phantom flipping over and crashing for no good reason.

4. MILLER4PRESIDENT2020

you didnt accidently put it into manual mode? The only way that I know that you can overrotate a phantom is in manual mode?

5. mengelman

No I don't have manual mode programed in the Naza. I am sure it was in gps and I was flying slowly straight ahead watching for any problems.

6. EMCSQUAR

Recalibrate everything and do an advanced calibration whether it says to or not.. It sounds like compass #s are too high.

7. OI Photography

Was it still powered on when you recovered it, or could you tell if the motors were still spinning when it dropped?

8. mengelman

I believe the motors were running when it flipped. It was a power flip. I heard the motors speed up I heald the sticks back as soon as I could. when I got to it the motors were off.

I have done an advanced calibration and will test again tomorrow. I have seen compass numbers posted on here but I cant remember what they were. Where would I look to find out where they should be?

Thanks