Phantom 4 with "Mavic Firmware"

Reaction score
As we saw with the Phantom 4, the Phantom 4 firmware added some Phantom 4 abilities to the Phantom 3, such as visual tracking (through 3rd party apps). I'd think things such as the gesture commands would be software driven. As such, I'm wondering if the Mavic firmware might add these abilities to the Phantom 4 (and perhaps even the Phantom 3). Granted, it may require different hardware but just something to think about.

If its not designed into the firmware by dji, then forget it. No way. Probably they use a different fpga and entirely differnt hardware. The Phantom 4 is still very fragmented hardware with many boards, so I guess they went ahead integrating things more and more.
Easier to roll your own firmware - especially since they started locking down things actively.

I would assume the 24 processing units in Mavic are performing some of these new features. P4 has a different H/W architecture. I think it's unlikely you'll see much of those migrate to P4, but I could be wrong.

I would assume the 24 processing units in Mavic are performing some of these new features. P4 has a different H/W architecture. I think it's unlikely you'll see much of those migrate to P4, but I could be wrong.

Keep in mind that the visual tracking of the P4 was handled by the display devices hardware, not unique to the hardware in the P4. The gestures are visual as well.

Keep in mind that the visual tracking of the P4 was handled by the display devices hardware, not unique to the hardware in the P4. The gestures are visual as well.
What we don't know is how the firmware is broken up between the processors in new Mavic architecture, and why DJI was compelled to use two dozen processors. Seems a bit overkill.

What we don't know is how the firmware is broken up between the processors in new Mavic architecture, and why DJI was compelled to use two dozen processors. Seems a bit overkill.

Agree 100%... we don't know. I have no idea if these features will work with the P4. Won't know until the firmware is released. I just wanted to throw it out that for people to consider. It certainly would be nice if some of those features find their way to the P4 though. I don't know that I'd use them more than once or twice though.

I suspect the camera in the Mavic is a different mechanical design in which the Mavic firmware would not work with the P4 at all.

Reading about the need to calibrate the focus on the Mavic in the software app leads me to believe that DJI must be using a focusable camera like the very small moving lens units in newer cellphones where you move a slider and can focus them. The P4 is fixed, I think, with no movable element other than screwing it in and out by hand.

The Phantom 4 positioning, obstacle avoidance, tap to fly, track etc were all made possible by a hardware solution, i.e the Myriad MA2100 SOC. The Mavic uses a MA2155.

The Phantom 4 positioning, obstacle avoidance, tap to fly, track etc were all made possible by a hardware solution, i.e the Myriad MA2100 SOC. The Mavic uses a MA2155.

Sorry. Meant to write P3, not P4. The P4 came out with visual tracking and that firmware allowed 3rd party apps to use it on the P3.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31