Phantom 4 with a mind of its own.

Reaction score
Hey guys

Last 3 flights have been pretty interesting with my phantom 4, it flys great for about 10 minutes then decides to get a mind of its own.

All flights have been above water and mostly in sports mode because when chasing the boat normal gps mode isn't quick enough.

Noticed the gimbal / drone seems to roll then things get hectic from there.
Not sure if it's operator error or aircraft problems, Will post some videos and any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

Flight 1, First time problem occurred
Flight 2, Problem getting worse
Flight 3, When things got really hectic

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
Looks to me like your stick inputs are way too aggressive. Lower your exp setting in GO to 0.03 and accelerate gradually. You seem to generate more G force on the gimbal then the motors can handle.

Looks to me like reflections in the water are messing with the Obstacle Avoidance system and the Visual Positioning system. Note in the third video the reflection of the sun in the water, and how it moves with the aircraft. The VPS sees this and thinks it's stationary. Every time you pitch or roll a little, that reflection moves and the VPS system moves the drone to try and stay with it.

Turn off OA and VPS and I'll bet this doesn't happen.

I had a similar issue this weekend. I flew my Phantom4 on Saturday and noticed the gimbal went limp. I still had control and landed with no issues. I did a firmware update that night, thinking that might resolve any issues. When I flew on Sunday everything went horribly wrong. Calibrated and reset my home point as usual. Everything looked fine. As soon as I lifted off it started to zig zag all over the place, and the gimbal went limp again (similar to what it looks like is happening in your 3rd video). I quickly realized I had zero control. It took off fast (like it was in sport mode). I hit the return home button, but nothing happened. It kept going, hit a tree and slammed hard into the pavement. I'm pretty upset as you can imagine. I'm hoping others are having the same issue and that DJI will do something (although I doubt it). This wasn't operator error.

Stick inputs are already down at 0.03 to try and smooth the sports mode out so it wasn't so aggressive.
Sensors are on for the first and second flight but VPS was off on the third flight because I also thought it may have been the issue.

I had a similar issue this weekend. I flew my Phantom4 on Saturday and noticed the gimbal went limp. I still had control and landed with no issues. I did a firmware update that night, thinking that might resolve any issues. When I flew on Sunday everything went horribly wrong. Calibrated and reset my home point as usual. Everything looked fine. As soon as I lifted off it started to zig zag all over the place, and the gimbal went limp again (similar to what it looks like is happening in your 3rd video). I quickly realized I had zero control. It took off fast (like it was in sport mode). I hit the return home button, but nothing happened. It kept going, hit a tree and slammed hard into the pavement. I'm pretty upset as you can imagine. I'm hoping others are having the same issue and that DJI will do something (although I doubt it). This wasn't operator error.

Its Not good feeling when they take off on you, thought I would post on here to see if anyone else has had issues before contacting dji, will keep you posted

Reactions: krytzr

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20