Phantom 4 Windsurfer controller magnetic interference

Reaction score
I bought a Windsurfer for my P4 from eBay. (see pic) When I put it on and turned on the Controller I immediately got a Magnetic interference error. When I took it off the error went away. I'm too afraid to fly my drone with that error displayed. What gives?
s-l1600.jpg

Yes, as a matter of fact I just got my third set today. I am trying different ones to see if one is any better than the other. I never encountered that error message in relationship to the windsurfers.

I have the exact same ones you have case and all. They work great! I use them with my Inspire and all my Phantoms. Never had any problems.

Yes, as a matter of fact I just got my third set today. I am trying different ones to see if one is any better than the other. I never encountered that error message in relationship to the windsurfers.
So, how would you rate this item ? Any good ? If yes, can you please provide the link for the purchase. Thx

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

Haven't had a chance to try my new ones yet, maybe today if the wind dies down a bit.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Any update to report on your latest windsurfer experience?

I have used the new copper clam shell ones a few times with good results. They are similar to the other ones as far as distance but the design is superior. It keeps the antennas parallel which I think helps in giving a consistent signal. I am about to go fly a Litchi mission over the ocean about 2.5 miles one way. At least with the Litchi I know it will complete the mission even if I lose signal but it should be interesting to see how the reception is.

Reactions: JesusDisciple
I have used the new copper clam shell ones a few times with good results. They are similar to the other ones as far as distance but the design is superior. It keeps the antennas parallel which I think helps in giving a consistent signal. I am about to go fly a Litchi mission over the ocean about 2.5 miles one way. At least with the Litchi I know it will complete the mission even if I lose signal but it should be interesting to see how the reception is.
Have you done a battery upgrade? What happens if you lose signal at 2mi out and there's not enough battery for a 5mi mission over the ocean? Have you done similar length missions so you know there's room for wind tolerance?

I've got the same windsurfer, the copper clamshell. Out of the 3 windsurfers I own, I like that one best for storage convenience and aesthetic look. All three of mine seem to work about the same for range.

I have the same Windsurfer. The reflector is made of aluminum, a non-ferrous metal. It has nothing to do with your magnetic interference issue. That message comes from the Phantom not the RC.

CORRECTION: I have the one-piece model (both reflectors are a single rigid unit). Regardless yours is still aluminum.

I bought a Windsurfer for my P4 from eBay. (see pic) When I put it on and turned on the Controller I immediately got a Magnetic interference error. When I took it off the error went away. I'm too afraid to fly my drone with that error displayed. What gives?View attachment 58163

Last edited:
Have you done a battery upgrade? What happens if you lose signal at 2mi out and there's not enough battery for a 5mi mission over the ocean? Have you done similar length missions so you know there's room for wind tolerance?

I've got the same windsurfer, the copper clamshell. Out of the 3 windsurfers I own, I like that one best for storage convenience and aesthetic look. All three of mine seem to work about the same for range.

Hi John, sorry I misspoke, it was just under 2 miles one way. I have flown that route a couple of times (without Litchi) just to gauge my battery life. I had to factor in a relatively strong off shore breeze but I returned with just under 50% battery flying at about 14 mph. By the way although the flight is over water, it is a bay so if my battery did start to run low I could abort and land along the coastline somewhere and hopefully be able to find it.

Everything you said about the copper clam shell I agree 100%. Today I was out 10K feet plus and still had 93% reception.

I have the ones that are aluminum, one piece with clips to keep the antennas vertical. Do you think the copper is better?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4