Phantom 4 - what to check after a crash

Reaction score
OK, like a fool I crashed my Phantom 4. I was coming in to land, I had ample room between trees but was busy looking at the screen and realised too late I'd drifted towards the tree. The sensors did not detect the tree. It fell about 15ft onto long grass.

The landing gear on both sides is unseated but not damaged. The drone powers up and all looks ok. I've not tried to fly it yet, what do I need to look out for before and during my first post-crash flight?

Also, best source of spares and repairs in the UK? I'd be grateful of any recommendations. Thanks folks.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Check gimbal movement and be aware of the grinding feel or maybe not smooth rotation on all 3 axes.
Check all motors for the same symptomps of the gimbal motor.
Check the propellers for any scratch, bends, or breaks, and the lock mecanism as well.
Check the compas heading through the app, gps reading, vps reading, etc...

If everything seems ok, try to start the motors without propelers. Look for any strange sounds... While accelerating with the throtle.

And if everything okay, you may try to fly it and hover at low altitude for a while and watch for any abnormal vibration....

Sent from my X89 Kindow(D5N3) using PhantomPilots mobile app

One bit of advice, do an IMU Calibration and check that your Compass1 and Compass 2 are both showing connected. The Calibration check only takes a minute or two. My P4 had no noise or vibration after a tree strike with minimal Landing Gear Damage and hovered in position at different altitudes up to 100' AGL but would not pass an initial Compass Calibration prior to flight. I found that my Compass2 showed disconnected during the IMU Calibration Check. I have since found that the P4 Compasses have fragile connections, will fly fine with only 1 Compass, and that it is a common occurance.

Sent from my VS995 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thanks for the replies folks. All looks well with the drone, it just needs the legs reseating and a new screw cover on one corner if I can source one without replacing the whole leg :) thanks again.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4