Phantom 4 vs Typhoon H

I want/have the __________

• Typhoon H

Votes: 32 47.1%
  • Phantom 4

Votes: 41 60.3%

• Total voters
Whether the Typhoon H lives up to it's pre-release hype is still to be seen and until it gets into the hands of users it's only something to hope for.
People get caught up with the next big drone, believing the marketing material and assuming it will automatically be better than what they already have.
Anyone remember the Tali H500 or 3DR Solo?

It's amazing how much traction the marketing gimmick of object avoidance has developed.
If you really need to fly your drone through an obstacle course, go for it.
But flying close to and towards obstacles isn't something drones are made for.
For most flying obstacle avoidance is about as useful as screen doors on a submarine (or a zoom lens on a drone).
Of all the things for drone makers to allocate development resources to, obstacle avoidance is about the last on my list.

Totally agree that Yuneec has set the bar for their product, and have done a lot of hyping on an 'add-on' tech. But, the
Typhoon H IS a reality. It's being made right now for mid-April shipping... Will it deliver? Only time will tell, eh?

As for collision avoidance marketing hype... it's useful tech, IF it's reliable. I've been in a few situations where
a good photo op was in a tight spot, and I didn't 'go in' because of the chance of planting the P3. With a true
360* collision avoidance a lot of "should I's" wouldn't be second thoughts.

I think your train of thought is based on your ability, and what your use for your UAV is being used for.
Developers are introducing a new product to a new market... so making it 'easier' to NOT crash makes
perfect sense. Then consider the markets they target... outdoorsie types that might want a picture
that DOESN'T exist in a wide open field, but perhaps in a wooded area...

I'm not prepared to save a few bucks on untested tech. The Typhoon H will have to prove itself before
I make a decision to buy, same as the Phantom 4. Neither company has touted unreasonable goals for
their products... Yuneec has yet to step up to the plate now... let's see how well they do!

Well, the inside of the Typhoon H looks clean like a Phantom. Thank God!

Attachments

• 1459382201072.jpg
    1459382201072.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 1,240
Reactions: MrMcfly
big upside for yuneec is intel coming on board

Reactions: Sim597
Here is "Follow Me" mode on the Typhoon H. It will be interesting to see a future side by side comparison of the P4 and the Typhoon H in follow me mode. In this video it looks like one person has the Wizard Controller on them, while the other person is operating the camera.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Unfortunately I read far too many posts on this forum where a Phantom owner does not have Lightbridge and is frustrated with their range and believes that Lightbridge is the cure. Sadly, this is not the case in every situation.

Refresher: Wifi requires a two way communication with plenty of data checking to ensure data packets are received. Lightbridge doesn't care about this... it just fires the data out continuously which means less dropouts over a longer range.

For example. Position yourself in a location with trees all around you. Without lightbridge you may only get 400 meters before video drops out. With Lightbridge you may increase that to 600 meters before video drops out. Position yourself behind a building or hill that is 100 feet high. Fly over it and... without lightbridge you may again only get 200 to 400 meters before video drops out. With Lightbridge you may increase this to 500 or 600 meters.

Lightbridge is amazing over open water, large flat fields or that wonderful English country side you see in so many videos, or the southern states with vast open space, etc. As soon as you introduce obstacles that are within 100 feet of where you are standing, they act as barrier to your signal, no matter how high you try to fly at a distance to keep line of sight. Bottom line is that Lightbridge is superior to Wifi, but it is not amazing in all environments.

I have both a P3S and P3A and to me either is fine, Lightbridge doesnt seal a deal for me.

I have to say. The H is getting traction for me. I was going to get the P4 because I thought it would go farther than the P3. It really doesn't, I already have the P3. I'm leaning toward the H because I could use it for the close up stuff and still use the P3 for long distance flying. I am not a beta tester though> I will wait until they are in the hands of consumers before I pull the trigger. H looks real good though.

Reactions: liketogethigh
Here is "Follow Me" mode on the Typhoon H. It will be interesting to see a future side by side comparison of the P4 and the Typhoon H in follow me mode. In this video it looks like one person has the Wizard Controller on them, while the other person is operating the camera.

that is cool but... it can't track too far can it? I thought the range was pretty limited.

Last edited:
that is cool but... it can'ttrack to far can it?

I really don't know. There just seems to be so little info on the Typhoon H. I would guess it has a follow-me mode like the Phantom has (the one where the Phantom locks onto the signal of the Remote Control, so wherever the Remote Control goes, the Phantom follows). In the video above, the Typhoon is following the Wizard Controller which I'm guessing the guy on the skateboard stuck in his pocket. You can still control the Typhoon with the small Wizard Stick if you wish, so that you don't have to take the enormous Remote Control with you. In the video the guy with the Remote Control is over-riding the camera and manually following the guy on the skateboard while the Typhoon is automatically flying and keeping the correct distance.

Hope yuneec can compete with lightbridge.

Can't wait to get away from dji.
Something tells me I'm stuck with them for some time yet though.

Hope yuneec can compete with lightbridge.

Can't wait to get away from dji.
Something tells me I'm stuck with them for some time yet though.
The only way a craft like the Typhoon H could compete with Lightbridge is if Yuneec adopted or bought one of the several existing technologies that already put Lightbridge to shame. The problem with this is that the hardware technology (chips/processors) are not cost effective at this time (would add many more $$ to the price of a Typhoon H).

I really like the Typhoon H concept, but I know it won't fill all my needs so I'll always have a Phantom 3 or 4 along with it. Eventually one day one of these companies will make a drone that combines the features of both drones into one.... Phantom 5 perhaps?

Hmmm.... I've been checking out the Typhoon H and have come to realize it was not designed to compete with the Phantom 4, but rather the DJI Inspire. It does pretty much everything the same, but in a smaller package. Obviously it is not as polished as the Inspire and it does not have the speed nor the flight range, but it has pretty much everything else and in a smaller package.

Recent photos below of the Typhoon H fitted with the optional FLIR camera. I'm assuming this will be a plus for industry use/search & rescue, etc. I don't think the average consumer has a use for this (could be wrong). Still, nice that you can swap cameras with one button push. First pic is the back of the camera, second pic is the front.

FLIRBACK.jpg

FLIR.jpg

Are there any videos that show what it sounds like? Everything so far seems to be silent or have music dubbed over it. I'm curious to hear how its audio signature differs from the Phantom.

I have not seen any videos with sound yet. The ones where it is flying at CES 2016, you really can't hear any drone engine sounds. I'm told that since it has six props that the props turn slower than a Phantom and make less of a "Bee Buzzing" sound. Also, apparently (from what I have read) the camera has a mic built in, so you can record sound when flying. I'm not sure why anyone would want to do that as all you'd hear are the motors.

This is supposed to be a test video of a Typhoon H trying out ND Filter(s). Unfortunately it was not made by a reviewer & probably just a developer so the quality is not so great (too much Youtube compression). Whenever the Typhoon H launches and gets in the hands of some Phantom owners, then we'll see some nice reviews and comparisons.

The videos are sloooowly coming in of the Typhoon H. In this video we see the $1299 version of the Typhoon H flying. It's not doing much so it's hard to compare it against the P4 for flight. Obviously, camera wise, the rotating camera is a plus. It looks like it has some speed to it. Pretty lights :)

NEW VIDEO!!! Finally a video of the Typhoon H where the Phantom 3 is in the picture. Here we have the Typhoon H and a Phantom 3 Professional. Am I the only one who thinks the Phantom 3 Professional looks like a toy drone compared to Typhoon H?

In this video:
- You can hear the Typhoon H motors (seem relatively quiet)
- See the stability of flight of the Typhoon H
- See the object avoidance at work
- The Remote Control (size) with the included sun shade

Reactions: liketogethigh
I'm liken it more I see of it might be next drone for me

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers