Phantom 4 versus 360 camera- obstacle avoidance

Reaction score
I'm holding up on my next purchase. I am contemplating the Typhoon H and the Inspire and other copters with a 360 camera coupled with obstacle avoidance.

After all.. I am wondering exactly what advantages there are with the 360 camera while I'm alone. With a copilot I definitely see the advantage. Without another hand what exactly is gained? For me I will be flying 95% of the time without someone to operate the camera. The other issue I have is this... What good is it to fly with a partner when you can't see where you are going. Would have to be right next to you.. It's almost as if you need another camera for the pilot.

Anyway I'm curious for those of you jumping to a 360 cam. What do you think you will get in doing so?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
For me a 360 gimble alone has no advantage. Yawing the craft is simple and gives good results. Having 2 cameras one for the pilot and one for the photographer would give me the options I would like. Having AO when flying backwards would be an asset, maybe P5 will have it. Having the option of filming on your own or with a partner would be nice. Getting mixed up with witch camera your lookin true could be detrimental. Having 2 lines of sight would be so cool. I saw a rumors video on a inspire with 2 cameras, could this be my next flying camera? And at what price?

I too am going for the H. Will hold off until the second shipment arrives though. One thing i see as an advantage with the 360 deg gimbal is the fact that we can have the bird always moving in the forward direction at all times, while using the 360 rotating gimbal to get the shot(this would work at its best when following a car and having the bird flying parallel so the front OAS is working in its travelling direction) . This would allow the obstacle avoidance system to help miss hitting anything in its path. It's not perfect but anything is a bonus when concentrating on getting that perfect video.

I had a deposit on preorder of the H but some of the latest reviews are not kind, saw footage of one smacking into a wall, the collision avoidance didn't work. I was impressed how it looks though and the optional wizard seemed pretty cool and would be very useful.
Read another review on it and the guy doing the review lost the H whilst using the wizard, was quite dramatic I was under the impression he had flown a fair few drones.
The video range on the Typhoon H is quite poor, 600 meters live feed in saying that I have lost a Xiro Explorer and I am no way confident in flying more than 200 meters hoping my confidence will grow again.
Anyway got my deposit back and purchased the P4. The sport mode on this thing is insane!
I have only ever flown the Xiro and the DJI P4 so my opinion is just an opinion, but $2500 in anyones language is bit of money to have fly away or smack into something.

Where do you get the 1 mile range? Unless I am mistaken(wouldn't be the first time) the range is the same as the P4 ie 3 miles, even a mile is far enough as IIRC most places you have to have unaided view of the drone to legally fly it.

The H does not have the same range as the Phantom4. I am putting my order on hold. Inspire 2 is imminent

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl