Phantom 4 upgrade

Flying performance is superb. Camera is something different.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I don't think it is worth it wait for the 5

Reactions: John Locke
Camera different?

4 is the best on the market. Glass on the Camera is supposed to be better than the 3 but both use the same Sony Chip. So Better? yes Worth the upgrade? Depends on your wallet.

If you are unhappy with camera quality, you may want P4. I have a P3P too. P4 pictures are way better. Sharpness and color range are great. I don't need to add sharpness in Photoshop like I used to do with P3P.

I don't think it is worth it wait for the 5
I agree, really not worth it, unless you want the latest and greatest (like me). I have both and fly my P3P the most because it behaves better for video shoots. The P4 is nice, sleek and sexy, don't get me wrong, and the mechanical design is a significant improvement, but it's not worth the upgrade if you intend to sell your P3P. The P4 still yoyos, I think most everyone deals with that when stopping into a hover. It's a blast to fly fast a 40+MPH, and the prop installation is so much quicker and easier. The P4 has a lot of small improvements, but when it comes down to taking video and photos, I don't notice much difference in camera performance. I personally think the P3P has smoother behavior for buttery movements when shooting video. I've adjusted my exponential settings on the P4 a lot to duplicate the P3P personality, but it's just not the same for smooth video moves. The major difference is range and signal connection integrity, it just doesn't match up to the P3P in stock form. The P4 has a habit of losing control signal before video signal, and my P3 never does that. I attribute that to a weaker control signal from the P4 RC, which I've measured and compared, P3P, Inspire, and P4 RC outputs. If you use an Inspire controller with the P4 craft, it works more like the P3P for range and signal integrity, which is what I ended up doing, mothballing the P4 RC. Most others resort to antenna upgrades and Sunhans amps. I use windsurfers most the time.

If you need to track things without a tracking beacon, the activate track follow mode only exists on P4, which works with image recognition technology. No other quad can do that without a beacon (such as Typhoon H, it tracks the RC or wand device). As you know P3P tracks the RC too. However the P4 won't track things very fast using active track. Faster bicycle tracking can be a challenge, but slower things like people walking and slow animals or boats are OK, as long as the background has a reasonable contrast to the color of the tracked object.

The P4 object avoidance is a nice to have, but you'll likely end up like me and turning it off because it's too slow to fly around. It's only useful when flying FPV and you want to get close to an object, safely. In that scenario it's useful, just switch the mode after you arrive at the object and it provides an extra level of safety. Personally I haven't used that feature in weeks.

Oh, forgot to mention, the 2X zoom on the P4 camera has proven very useful when shooting 1080 video. No other drone has that. Only available with IOS devices at this time. It helps during flight to ID things to shoot, such as a car in the distance, among other cars, so you can spot the car you want before it zooms by. Looking inside coastline caves is handy, to see if there's anything of interest to watch. 40+ MPH, quick prop install, and 2X zoom are my favorite features of P4, but they aren't worth the upgrade from P3P IMHO. I suggest waiting for Lightbridge 2 and a better camera in the P5, if you have P3P to fly now.

Last edited:
I agree, really not worth it, unless you want the latest and greatest (like me). I have both and fly my P3P the most because it behaves better for video shoots. The P4 is nice, sleek and sexy, don't get me wrong, and the mechanical design is a significant improvement, but it's not worth the upgrade if you intend to sell your P3P. The P4 still yoyos, I think most everyone deals with that when stopping into a hover. It's a blast to fly fast a 40+MPH, and the prop installation is so much quicker and easier. The P4 has a lot of small improvements, but when it comes down to taking video and photos, I don't notice much difference in camera performance. I personally think the P3P has smoother behavior for buttery movements when shooting video. I've adjusted my exponential settings on the P4 a lot to duplicate the P3P personality, but it's just not the same for smooth video moves. The major difference is range and signal connection integrity, it just doesn't match up to the P3P in stock form. The P4 has a habit of losing control signal before video signal, and my P3 never does that. I attribute that to a weaker control signal from the P4 RC, which I've measured and compared, P3P, Inspire, and P4 RC outputs. If you use an Inspire controller with the P4 craft, it works more like the P3P for range and signal integrity, which is what I ended up doing, mothballing the P4 RC. Most others resort to antenna upgrades and Sunhans amps. I use windsurfers most the time.

If you need to track things without a tracking beacon, the activate track only exists on P4, which works with image recognition technology. No other quad can do that without a beacon (such as Typhoon H, it tracks the RC or wand device). As you know P3P tracks the RC too. However the P4 won't track things very fast. Bicycle tracking can be a challenge, but slower things like people walking and slow animals or boats are OK, as long as the background has a reasonable contrast to the color of the tracked object.

The P4 object avoidance is a nice to have, but you'll likely end up like me and turning it off because it's too slow to fly around. It's only useful when flying FPV and you want to get close to an object, safely. In that scenario it's useful, just switch the mode after you arrive at the object and it provides an extra level of safety. Personally I haven't used that feature in weeks.
I agree I flew one was fun in sport mode but didn't see that big of a difference from a p3p so if you have a p3p why upgrade wait another 6 to 8 months and see what comes out next cause you will probably wish you waited

I agree I flew one was fun in sport mode but didn't see that big of a difference from a p3p so if you have a p3p why upgrade wait another 6 to 8 months and see what comes out next cause you will probably wish you waited

I want a new bird.... Just because. But I just can't spring on a new one that doesn't upgrade the real reason I fly... For videos

I want a new bird.... Just because. But I just can't spring on a new one that doesn't upgrade the real reason I fly... For videos

After looking at some of my videos, I have to say that my p4 videos are noticeably better than my p3p. More crisp looking, better color, just more natural looking. My 1 cent.

After looking at some of my videos, I have to say that my p4 videos are noticeably better than my p3p. More crisp looking, better color, just more natural looking. My 1 cent.
I have seen the difference and I think the P4 is better. I'm a videographer by trade..It is at least my justification for flying. Regarding video between the two, I see slightly better video with the P4. The fact that they use the exact same sensor is a no sale for me. It's like upgrading the lens on my GH4's. I have a great prime lens. I'm not going to drop another 1200 each for 3 cameras to get slightly better glass.

I can wait for the next iteration of the Phantom for a better sensor... new glass... 6 rotors... or something that I value as a true upgrade. To be honset if the Phantom 5 had 6 rotors I would probably buy it on that alone. I really like the idea that one failure wouldn't kill my AC. As much as I like the TH I always get back to the signal issue. I have flown the P3 with lightbridge and... I'm not going to a platform with less range or a less reliable signal.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic