Phantom 4 to Cancun

Reaction score
I'm traveling to Cancun in two weeks for a short vacation. I am planning to bring my Phantom 4, I am a little concerned about getting in through the airport in Cancun. I heard some people had trouble getting through the TSA in Mexico. Anybody here went to Mexico with their drone? Should I bring it? What was your experience? Thanks guys!

Reactions: mmee1992
I just felt with this but it was under weird circumstances as I am a flight crew member. My Phantom was taken from me (returned when I left the country) but I didn't think I would get it back. I asked for clarification of the rules and they said that if you are a passenger that you will be taxed on the assessed value of the drone that exceeds $300.00. I believe the tax was 15%. They said my P3P was valued at $700.00 so the taxable amount would be $400.00.

As far as I know as a passenger you shouldn't have any issue other than the tax which shouldn't be anything more than $100.00 worst case I would think.

Wait what? 15‰ of 700 is 400 ? I am sort of familiar with Mexican math but this seems excessive.

wow even $100.00 tax is a lot, what is the tax for anyway? fun tax? i'm thinking twice now, and i bought this quad specifically for this, thanks for the reply mmee1992

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

LEAVE IT at home. I live in Arizona, I know the BS they pull.

thats absurd, because you are a tourist.

with that logic every tourist that enters mexico with a laptop a dslr or anything that exceeds 300 should be charged...

I don't understand a few things, need clarification...lots of it.
So, if you take the P3/P4 into Mexico (or other country), at border you need to pay taxes to bring it in???
Why? Why for the drone? Are you going to sell it there? Is it used fore fun or profit?
How about being taxed on the cell phone? or DSLR camera? or luggage case?...how about socks, underwear, shirt, pants, etc. If they want to make money why not tax it all?

Reactions: chapsrlz
Here's a little clarification of what I think they're saying:

In Brazil it is 60%. If you are a resident flying back in they will tax you. If they're present at the custom booths. If you have 3 iPhones/cameras/etc they will tax you.

If you are just visiting with a US passport they don't tax you.

my purpose is to visit, be a tourist, to enjoy mexico and I have no intentions or not even thinking of selling my drone, why taxed? right? and also, it was already taxed when I bought it

i just watched BFvsGF vlog, his drone was confiscated from him at the airport

Casey also have had trouble bringing his drone in to Mexico... sad..

Casey also have had trouble bringing his drone in to Mexico... sad..

he said that people at the airport freaked out, the same happened to me when i took mine to japan...

you should be ok to bring yours to cancun.

Hi all,

This sounds like my worst nightmare. My friends and I are going to Iceland in August. Do you guys think I'll be ok taking the drone there?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hey, was in Cancun in March. Had no problem at the custom/immigration/border control.
They open the case, look at it and I was clear to go. So don't worry.

Last edited:
Hi all,

This sounds like my worst nightmare. My friends and I are going to Iceland in August. Do you guys think I'll be ok taking the drone there?

im going to iceland in november, and definetly want to get there with the drone, please let us -me- know how was your trip and the experience with yours.

As a tourist, I don't go thru custom most of the time while entering their country. Just immigration/border control

It is during the return trip back to US that u go thru custom.

im going to iceland in november, and definetly want to get there with the drone, please let us -me- know how was your trip and the experience with yours.

I will definitely let you guys know. I hope everything will be ok fingers X!

P.s. if going in to Mexico I can get myself out of it, because I speak Spanish :D Not sure about Iceland...

Just came back from Mexico, via Cancun Airport, no problem at all, they opened the Phantom4 case and when they saw my FAA registation they let me go. I suggest you do the same. Thanks guys!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4