Phantom 4 stress crack

To reduce the possibility of encountering stress crack, the Phantom 3 has (not from DJI) plates to put under the motor/frame for added reinforcement. Is there anything for the P4 you guys are utilizing

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Im thinking to apply white zip ties?

Last edited:
When I found a stress crack on my P3 last week and called DJI, they told me the frame was not under warranty. I bought it March 31 from Amazon. I called Amazon and they took it back with full refund 3 weeks past the last date to return. I since bought a P4 that's in the mail. Many feel DJI put the quality back into this model. Now I'm reading about stress cracks found in it. GAD!

Interesting, I sent mine in that I purchased in December... I put 1M flight feet on it..sent it in. Shell replaced for free.

Everyone always says the phantom is a flying camera. It sure is. But as for the "get a racer" ideology, it's not a good long distance solution. I own one. Immersion vortex 250 pro. While great, it just does not work for the 2 kilometer distance flights I do over ocean. Someone suggested a fixed wing. Impossible since I fly from a balcony on a building directly in front of the Adriatic or another balcony at my apartment in the alps. Hence, no muss no fuss flights over sea or mountains. Another stated that 2 kilometers to some island, 2 kilometers back, at max GPS sensor off speed, 15-17 meters per second, is abuse. Abuse? Then why is sport mode on there? For cute little 30 second bursts of speed? Over long distances I actually stayed off sport mode because I was still a non believer in the new shell on spite of the far superior motor mounting. I felt from the start that the design was far superior but still didn't trust DJI's material thicknesses. A Colin Chapman approach to getting the maximum flight time. For those not familiar with the approach of Lotus' founder, Chunky wanted parts to break just after 2 hours. The average duration of a formula 1 race. If it broke in three hours it was too heavy. Hence, in the seventies, it was said that if you got a Lotus ride, you would either win the championship or die. But getting back to phantoms, flght time is an issue I never gave a rat's *** about. I would always gladly give up a couple of minutes in order to get a a stronger fuselage. But I realize, by my 1032 kilometers flown in 129 flights, that not many are flying those distances. And flight duration dissatisfaction is still a top topic in the forums. While I'm not doing abrupt direction changes, it seems that wind turbulence exposure time at speed is what is affecting my birds. As of now every phantom since 1. For my needs, anything with lightbridge is ideal. The inspire is still too big even though I'm gravitating towards it. I really hoped the p4 would be DJI's farewell to stress cracks. I'm already flying my new spare p4. Long distance flight because I've photographed every centimeter of the mountains surrounding my apartment so now it's just flying for the sport of it. Hovering is ok sometimes but mountain or ocean flying is what I prefer. I'll send in the cracked bird next week. If they fix it for free great. If not, fine as well. It is what it is until somebody makes a strong shelled bird. Or I'll just buy an inspire where the arms are easily swapped.

Reactions: crab453
I'll just buy an inspire where the arms are easily swapped.

At 1999.00 for an Inspire vs. 1300 or whatever for a phantom flop by an Inspire I love mine. I wish I could have bought it for 1999.00 instead of 2850, almost feel like buying another one. I have had 2 cracked p3's and a cracked p2, what more could I need, a cracked p4 maybe, I thought some time ago that I would pass on the P4 this pretty much clinches it, Buy an I1 , the I2 is rumored to be out in a week or so anyway.

Im thinking to apply white zip ties?

I would use a little very thin super glue around the zips once applied, the shell is ruined anyway. you must restore the integrity of the shell and motors if they twist easily they will only get worse, the glue may stop the twisting flux between the compromised shell halves

Interesting, I sent mine in that I purchased in December... I put 1M flight feet on it..sent it in. Shell replaced for free.

The pics above of my failed motor mount...................... I have over a million feet on it too. Fingers crossed, they gave me an RMA to send it in. A freebie would be great CS fodder, but I won't hold my breath.

My comment for get a racer is for speed and high g force, not distance. Phantom's go as far out as the battery can get you back. DJI should make the shell stronger, many engineer's only think about minimum weight to get flight time up and keeping acceptable (for dji) fuselage strenght. Hight speed forward flight with no hard banking generates no g's except when accelerating, if wind resistance is enough to crack the shell for long distance flyers then I guess I will eventually have the cracks. Maybe in the future dji will offer carbon fibre shells. When dji made the special edition carbon fibre P3, was the shell 100% carbon or was it a cover over the existing shell?

Everyone always says the phantom is a flying camera. It sure is. But as for the "get a racer" ideology, it's not a good long distance solution. I own one. Immersion vortex 250 pro. While great, it just does not work for the 2 kilometer distance flights I do over ocean. Someone suggested a fixed wing. Impossible since I fly from a balcony on a building directly in front of the Adriatic or another balcony at my apartment in the alps. Hence, no muss no fuss flights over sea or mountains. Another stated that 2 kilometers to some island, 2 kilometers back, at max GPS sensor off speed, 15-17 meters per second, is abuse. Abuse? Then why is sport mode on there? For cute little 30 second bursts of speed? Over long distances I actually stayed off sport mode because I was still a non believer in the new shell on spite of the far superior motor mounting. I felt from the start that the design was far superior but still didn't trust DJI's material thicknesses. A Colin Chapman approach to getting the maximum flight time. For those not familiar with the approach of Lotus' founder, Chunky wanted parts to break just after 2 hours. The average duration of a formula 1 race. If it broke in three hours it was too heavy. Hence, in the seventies, it was said that if you got a Lotus ride, you would either win the championship or die. But getting back to phantoms, flght time is an issue I never gave a rat's *** about. I would always gladly give up a couple of minutes in order to get a a stronger fuselage. But I realize, by my 1032 kilometers flown in 129 flights, that not many are flying those distances. And flight duration dissatisfaction is still a top topic in the forums. While I'm not doing abrupt direction changes, it seems that wind turbulence exposure time at speed is what is affecting my birds. As of now every phantom since 1. For my needs, anything with lightbridge is ideal. The inspire is still too big even though I'm gravitating towards it. I really hoped the p4 would be DJI's farewell to stress cracks. I'm already flying my new spare p4. Long distance flight because I've photographed every centimeter of the mountains surrounding my apartment so now it's just flying for the sport of it. Hovering is ok sometimes but mountain or ocean flying is what I prefer. I'll send in the cracked bird next week. If they fix it for free great. If not, fine as well. It is what it is until somebody makes a strong shelled bird. Or I'll just buy an inspire where the arms are easily swapped.
stronger shell
upload_2016-6-7_14-46-32.png

Whats flying a P4 have to do with your question Holt? We are talking about the qualities of product which eventuality reverts to inferior products priduced mass market by the Chinese - as always

Whats flying a P4 have to do with your question Holt? We are talking about the qualities of product which eventuality reverts to inferior products priduced mass market by the Chinese - as always

The relevance is that how can you say that the Autel is stronger if he hasn't been able to compare in person?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4