Phantom 4 Pro + Range Issue

Reaction score
Hello, first post here. I am a new to drones. Just purchased a Phantom 4 Pro +. First flight no issues, short and simple. 2nd Flight, I got out about 1/4 of a mile and boom, low signal. Tried again and actually lost signal at 1/4 to 1/2 mile out. Return home worked fine.

My issue is the range. My Mavic Pro's range is at least 1.5 miles. Is something wrong with my Phantom 4 Pro + or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance!

JOHN

Got my P4P on Thursday so I haven't flown far yet. Yesterday to about 600 metres (4/10 mile) and the signal strength was strong. Clear LOS between me and the drone. On reviewing the cached (in iPad) video the quality was not great however. I get much better from the Mavic at longer ranges.

This was with the latest firmware / s/w updates.

I noted that the data link was set to 5 GHz and I'll be looking into setting it into 2.4 GHz in these areas away from all the suburban WiFi noise.

I went out today 2000m and still had strong signal. This was with 2.4 and all stock and in EU.

I previously had a P4 which I sold in Nov 2016. Best range I achieved with the P4 was about 8500', entire flight was over water. Bought a P4 ProPlus a few weeks ago. Best range so far, over water (same route as P4) has been 12,500' and I still had a strong signal (1 missing bar). Over land with trees, buildings etc I have done 9000' with P4 ProPlus with still a strong signal.

There does seem to be a difference in range, depending on the GHz used. If 2.4 GHz is not doing well, try 5.8GHz and vice versa and your range could double or more.

I also have a P4P 4+ and have the same problem the range is not that great... The weird thing is the remote signal was low but the video feed signal was at full bars i don't get it...

I have a P4P Plus and usually didn't get real great range on the 2.4GHz frequency. I then switched to 5.8GHz, set the antennas to 90 degrees to the controller, set the channels to "auto", and I achieved 15000' over prairie and rolling hills. I was using a DJI paraballic "range extender" at the time. Could have gone further as there were not glitches in the video feed or loss of controller signal but didn't want to push my luck.

I have a P4P Plus and usually didn't get real great range on the 2.4GHz frequency. I then switched to 5.8GHz, set the antennas to 90 degrees to the controller, set the channels to "auto", and I achieved 15000' over prairie and rolling hills. I was using a DJI paraballic "range extender" at the time. Could have gone further as there were not glitches in the video feed or loss of controller signal but didn't want to push my luck.
Will i get better range on 5.8ghz without a range extender? Did you try out?

I easily get 2mi with 5.8Ghz, no windsurfer. This makes no sense because conventional wisdom says 2.4Ghz will go farther, penetrate better, etc. With a windsurfer I've seen it go 4mi using 5.8 over suburban San Diego, as long as you absolutely have LOS connection. Many pilots lose their LOS connection when they get that far away because they forget to look back to see if they can actually see themselves, or the general area. They will often slip behind a big tree, a building, or a hill. I have also found that the Go4 app switches back to 2.4 after a battery swap in the craft for some reason, so now, during every pref-light, checking the frequency band for 5.8 has become routine, often having to select 5.8 again before launch.

I have not seen nearly the range I used to see with my P3 (went almost 2 miles once) flying in the same locations. I actually had a scary incident a few days ago flying in Celebration, FL where it lost GPS repeatedly almost a mile out. I was able to bring it back in and get a better lock by going above 450 ft but still not preferred scenario when on vacation. I have read different things about flying on 5.8 GHz in saturated areas (like mine in Northern NJ) but nothing has improved range significantly. Given my lack of time and energy toward pretty much anything, I've accepted it as the camera is so phenomenal it makes up for any loss in range.

Try a Windsurfer. It not only focuses more control signal in one direction to the craft, the reflectors also shield your RC from rogue signals behind you, reducing interference with the video signal reception, up to half.

Last edited:
I live in the woods, surrounded by 25m trees. I get about 1500-2000 meters through the trees stock on 5.8Ghz on a P4P. at 90 meter flying altitude. I don't get any better at 2.4Ghz as I get interference from my house. I find antenna aim is very important at 5.8Ghz though.

Reactions: ChipperRay
I also wonder if the time of day matters. I usually prefer to fly later in the evenings when the atmospheric conditions are mild. Not bright sunlight or windy. It is also a cooler temperature so a person doesn't get baked while flying.

Went for a ride and could only get 1km of distance not more and that was on 5.8ghz but like many have said i was not in L.O.S... Will try to find a place where i could be in los with the drone

Will i get better range on 5.8ghz without a range extender? Did you try out?
Hey Josh, took her out tonight. Late afternoon (around 6:30pm) and a 8-10 mph head wind going out. No parabolic range extender, antennaes at a 90 degree angle to the controller, HD set on 5.8GHz and channels to "Auto". She flew out to 13,500 feet and then I got the "battery low" warning. Unfortunately they have been sitting for a week and a half before I took her out tonight. I started with only 72% of battery life, but I feel confident she would have approached the 15,000 foot mark. Last time batteries were at 92%. Flying the same place over hills and prairie. I noticed a slight glitch on the video feed at about 12,000 feet out so I climbed to about 250 feet and it seemed to do fine. After I came back in and landed, replaced the battery with a fresh one and tried some "intelligent flight modes". The "Active trac" mode would follow me with the bird rotating from right to left, etc. but would not follow me walking away. Also, the "Tap to Fly" would go to the right direction but I couldn't cancel out of it with the "stop" icon on the CrystalSky display or the "pause" button on the controller. I hit "RTH" and she came back, but would not let me cancel out of RTH upon approach so I could manually land her. So, I guess my Intelligent Flight modes aren't so intelligent. That's ok. I don't really use them that much anyway as I can manually do just about anything they can do anyhow. I hope this helps. Sorry it's so long winded.

Reactions: Josh_Ex
Try a Windsurfer. It not only focuses more control signal in one direction to the craft, the reflectors also shield your RC from rogue signals behind you, reducing interference with the video signal reception, up to half.
John, is the Windsurfer a DJI product? Where do you get one?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31