Phantom 4 Pro handle wind?

Reaction score
I have a Phantom 4 which is rock solid for my small business. Many of my shoots are along the ocean on Cape Cod during the summer months. Prevailing south west winds can be a challenge and limit my flights. I noticed a big difference when I moved from Phantom 3 Pro to the 4. Wondering if the 4 Pro has noticeably better performance in windy conditions (20 mph winds) or should I look at the Inspire. Big price difference and learning curve for new quad.

The P4 Pro is not going to handle any better in the wind. Step up to the Inspire if your P4 is not handling well enough for you.

What would change in the aerodynamics between the p4 and p4p, if I understand the question? Unless I'm just mistaken because I don't own any p4 product yet (only p3) I think you'd see no difference between the p4 and p4p in terms of wind performance. I think for the conditions you describe it would be wise to seriously consider the I2 if you really need to fly at those times. If saving at least 3,600 bucks and just skipping severely windy days is an option, just skip flying. I'm mostly faced with the same choice because of handling windy conditions, only for me just skipping the flight would not always be the better option if there's a craft that can handle it, because the flight would at times be a critical commercial flight. And therein lies the tough choice because the phantom p4p craft is not up to the power needed, but camera and flight time is a huge plus. In the end though, when it comes to handling windy conditions more capably there's no comparison - the I2 will power through more capably than a phantom ever could.

However you mentioned a small business and if the camera is a big deal, you'll see better quality in that department with the p4p. If a p4 was a choice for anyone, I can't see why anything less than the p4p would be considered in terms of pq.

Last edited:
Being a pro4 owner but having nothing (except a toy drone) to compare it with, it's hard to speak to an upgrade from a phantom 3.
However after all the research I've done on this bird, a "power upgrade" in the four motors was part of the Pro 4 package. The other being the camera.
In my eyes stronger motors translate into more control in higher winds.
But I could be wrong. Been there done that!

We're flying professionally in mountainous conditions in South Africa, either high altitude plateau or mountainsides. Okay, it's certainly not coastal conditions - but it's challenging nonetheless (as any pilot of a small aircraft will know - think of California's treacherous inland mountains for example). Our P4P+ is handling everything wonderfully.

I can't compare to earlier drone models, as this is our first - simply because the camera is now good enough for serious work. From our experience, it can handle 20mph winds gusting up to 30mph (and we have a professional meteorological setup here, supplying the government weather people with data). Poor footage is no use to us.

Hope this helps. The technology is fantastic.

can't speak for anything other than my Syma X8 compared with the P4P and the other day I went out to try and capture a quick video between snow showers during a blizzard. I certainly would not put up the Syma in those conditions ... I did try but it was very difficult to keep the bird over my property never mind trying to capture any pictures or video. I then put up the P4P and it was rock solid and I did get a big red warning about the high wind speed.
This is part of the video from the flight:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

There are 3 parts to flying in the Wind: Constant Wind Wind Gusts: and flying forward in the wind.

We fly over the lake with heavy winds as much as 25 35 mph with the Phantom 4 pro almost every day now.
I can tell you that having a heavier drone is not going to stop you from making mistakes.

There are just two many to list , but the biggest one to avoid is really over powering the wind it is much better to throttle thu the wind gradually.
This is especially critical if you have the cross winds on the lake.
This goes against popular opinion of course

Going 40 mph and hitting a cross wind is going to toss your drone in a serious way and may also put you in atty mode as we have seen a few times now..
We have several videos showing the Phantom in strong winds , Hail Storm, Rain Storm, Snow Storm and just recently we shot this below.

No matter what you do : You have to stay in visual sight , at one point in the video the drone was out over the lake for 15 minutes before I could get it back and had two spotters with me. Once I got past the lake the winds took it and I lost my bearings for a bit as the controller was covered in snow..

I did not have time to edit the video to show just the wind footage but its the last thing we recorded this week. I may make a video of just the number of times the wind tossed the Drone now as we have accumulated much 4K footage.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31