Phantom 4 Pro First Flight Experiences

Reaction score
My Phantom 4 Professional (with Display) arrived today. I have owned a P3 Advanced and still own a Phantom 4 and Yuneec Typhoon H Pro. I have a Parrot Disco coming my way tomorrow for giggles only.

After unboxing and charging all batteries and controller, I updated all software/firmware on the Controller/Display and then used my Mac to download the new Assistant, calibrate the "cameras" (obstacle avoidance). Every time I did a firmware or there calibration or update. I shut down both the controller and aircraft and then restarted. I had no issues with the software/firmware update using the process I just described. I took it outside for a test flight. I calibrated the compass but could not find a way to calibrate the IMUs. I calibrated the gimbal.

Started up with no problems. Initial few minutes were in a very close area no more than 4 feet off the ground, to make sure all was 100%

Climbed to 200 then 400 feet (slowly and cautiously). I headed to a spot where by P4 loses all signals 2000 feet from the launch site with plenty of trees between us. My P4 DOES have those copper things slid on the two antennas to "focus" the signal and my P4P does not (yet, it's coming) I had no problem reaching this site 1/2 mile away with excellent signal despite the trees (forest) between us. So, I found much better reception between my P4 and P4P, favoring the P4P.

Excellent to the inch stability in moderately high wind.

Flew back and explored the opposite direction for about 1500 feel away with houses and trees between us.

Came back and chose a round "picnic table" that in summer had an umbrella in it as my favorite landing place. Now just the hole in the center and no umbrella.

Hovered over it and using VPS on the very good texture, it was again to the inch steady, despite some wind. I then landed on the table. The stability over the table is noticeably better than my P4. And much better than my Typhoon (which is now at the factory to check out it's lack of rock solid hover),

I love the P4P and as you can see, I am a stickler for detail (I am "big" aircraft pilot as well and have been for 40 years.). Same philosophy: Dot every i and cross every t. I don't just kick the tires and light the fires.

These "drones" are not toys. It takes real attention to detail not to have a disaster on your hands (and maybe someone else's).

Again. no problems with updates, firmware bugs etc like some of us are talking about here.

PS; I did sign up for DJI Care/Refresh.

Reactions: rbhamilton
Only comment I'd make is that I wouldn't calibrate anything unless there was a reason to, for example the app tells you to or there is a problem you see that requires a calibration to fix. Calibrating something that isn't broken can actually break something and cause issues.

got mine today and when I turned the phantom o it sounded like a cement mixer.
any suggestions?

I have to admit something, I suffer from TDNS: Total Drone Newbie Syndrome. But I started treatment a couple of days ago when I took my new P4P+ out for the first time. It is my first quad ever. Back in early October I ordered a Mavic which seemed like a good first drone choice and being the studious type I found this forum and proceeded to begin filling my brain. But we all know what happened there and in my specific instance the order I had with Amazon was auto-canceled for non-shipment the morning DJI announced the P4P/I2. When I saw the specs I figured someone upstairs was looking out for me since the expanded OA and upgraded camera fit exactly what I really need/want in a 1st drone. I have a video/animation production company and plan to work this into the mix once I am proficient. For now I am a hobby only flier, registered with FAA.

I went full noob and just charged and flew. No calibrations of any kind to anything. First thing I did was connect the AC directly to Assistant 2 (on Mac in my case) and it immediately connected to the AC when I turned it on and updated the firmware lickedy split. Turned on the RC and it booted into Go4 and prompted for firmware update as well. All the setup went super smooth once I got past the Chinese screens. I just don't understand how things like that get released and no one at the company noticed?

I understand that I should probably calibrate the RC, Camera/Gimbal, and compass at some point but I want to wait and see how it operates first. My first impression was amazement at just how simple it was to launch, fly, and land. And the near perfect hovering. I kept it in Beginner mode and it will probably stay there far at least 10 flights. As it was I over reached a little and did some tree pruning (video below). I was really focused on flying and just left the camera on auto so the footage is not great and it was a cloudy late afternoon.

I just practiced moving it around, hither and yon, to and fro, up and down, yaw and... Within the limits of Beginner mode which was perfect for me since that is what I am. I did get some video signal breakup at close range but I live in LA and I think you can get a tan here just from all the wifi everywhere. I did put together a comprehensive 29 step pre-flight checklist compiled from posts here and I will follow that religiously each and every flight. As for insurance (or as Chris Rock says "In Case ****") I took a two pronged approach, first I went with DJI Care Refresh to cover what I consider the inevitable first and second repairs (unless they happen more than a year from now but by then the P5 will be coming). For liability I decided to go with an AMA membership and the coverage offered free through them. I don't think I will be joining a club but I am fine flying within their guidelines.

Now I just need the extra batteries I ordered. I really should have gone with less expensive P4 batteries, but I ended up ordering 2 of the new higher capacity ones. Hopefully I will get them in time for upcoming trip to NM.

I'll be flying again tomorrow and paying more attention to the camera this time. There are so many features and options that I feel it will take me a few months or more to get comfy with it to say nothing of studying for the Part 107 test. Figuring out how to study for the test is the next thing I have to study.

My first impression of DJI and the Phantom P4P+ is that it is an awesome piece of technology and I pray I never need direct tech support from them.

A bit of tree trimming:

My first Pan!

I didn't give up on that shot under the tree (boo camera on auto)...

Reactions: F3honda4me
......... to say nothing of studying for the Part 107 test. Figuring out how to study for the test is the next thing I have to study.
ASA's Remote Pilot Test Prep book is a good resource to read. After reading that, then go to www.thedroneu.com and sign up for a month ($47) membership and take their 107 pretest questions. They have about 300 questions in their study program, it's done very well. Just keep taking the tests over and over, review all the errors made until you memorize and understand the questions. Once you start getting at least 90% in all 5 sections of their knowledge test questions, you're ready to take FAA's 60 question test through any of their CATS test centers across the country ($150). I did this above and passed with 88%. 70% is minimum to pass.

Last edited:
any suggestions?
Sounds defective. Ship it back!

Did you take out the foam gimbal block, hidden behind the gimbal? P4's had this, I assume P4P's have it too. A lot of guys didn't notice it hiding behind the gimbal.

any suggestions?

Mine didn't sound too great when I got it, sounded like something rubbing against an in internal fan, I proceeded to firmware update everything and it was fine - keeping an eye on it.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Sounds defective. Ship it back!

Did you take out the foam gimbal block, hidden behind the gimbal? P4's had this, I assume P4P's have it too. A lot of guys didn't notice it hiding behind the gimbal.
Yes I removed it , it had a red warning label which caught my attention. I was excited about testing my new P4P but unlike many, I did not throw caution to the wind.

I calibrated the compass but could not find a way to calibrate the IMUs.
I understand that I should probably calibrate the RC, Camera/Gimbal, and compass at some point
Read page 57 of the manual to see what DJI suggest about calibrating the compass.
It's different from what they've said in the past.

Thanks John Locke I have seen a lot of training options out there and not sure what places/people are really legit.

Thanks Meta4 too! I did see that apart about not calibrating the compass unless it says so. A lot of people look askance at that, but I figured I would go with what DJI specifically recommends as this is a new model.

Other than the Vision Sensors which are also pre-calibrated the manual makes no mention of calibrating the gimbal, IMU, or RC etc, so unless I start to see problems I am leaving those alone too.

My first flight with the p4p+ was brief. After I took off and the craft was hovering for a short period I got a "strong magnetic interference" warning. I as flying in a location that I have flown before with my P4 and received no such warning. I will take it out today to a new location and see how it goes.

The P4P seems more inclined to give warnings. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the hardware per se or whether DJI has simply decided to lower the warning thresholds.

Second flight. No warnings except for occasional wind alert. One thing I did notice (though it could be user error), not all of my photos were saved to the SD card. It is possible that the shudder button might not have been fully depressed. Could be that I am still unaccustomed to the new "half press/full press" shudder button.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj