Phantom 4 Pro Battery MOD Need your Help.. Drifting/ Flight Time Video + Pics

Reaction score
I turned off the obstacle avoidance and noticed that there was no option to disable VPS. The drone flew perfectly fine, but after a few minutes in, I noticed it started to drift up or down, and it descending extremely slow a few times! Please check the video and see what the problem may be. As for the flight time, I only managed to get about 29 minutes. I don't know if it's the battery pack, or if it's the setup, but my previous modded p3p flew perfectly fine with a heavier battery. This one weights only 405 grams with the custom mount. Feel free to ask any questions, and please help out if you can. How come it drifts, and how can I extend the flight time? That battery is the 4s 15.2v 4000mah from multistar. I used a 5200mah on the p3p before, so I might get another one, but I don't want to upgrade if it drifts and descends slow. It still managed to pull a 2.5sec long exposure though! I don't know if it's the placement of the battery under the vps, or if it's the p4p attempting to stabilize, and no, it was not a windy day.
Possible Factors:
-It was flown at full throttle at times
-It hovered at times

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
IMG_1047.JPG

IMG_1048.JPG

IMG_1049.JPG

Last edited:
What's the new flight time?
That's the thing. I'm pretty sure vps doesn't turn off on a p4p like a p3p, so that might be a huge factor with the flight, and it might explain the reason it kept drifting up and down, but I'm not 100% sure, so any input will greatly be appreciated! The flight was only about 29 minutes, but the majority of it was hovering and flying at basically full throttle. If I were to get a larger battery, then I can see greater potential in the mod.

I don't have any experience with the P4P, but if you have that battery sitting that close to the VPS I don't have the VPS taped off I'm sure it's going to cause you that type of issue. Because you can't turn the VPS off in the app, I used black electrical tape followed by white electrical tape over the VPS sensors which disables it. I've also had compass issues with batteries sitting too close to the Compass. So I could see a scenario where you having the battery sitting on the legs like that,could cause the compass issue which would also cause drifting. But you don't get any errors stating that so you're probably fine there, probably just need to tape off your VPS sensors

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: tml4191
I don't have any experience with the P4P, but if you have that battery sitting that close to the VPS I don't have the VPS taped off I'm sure it's going to cause you that type of issue. Because you can't turn the VPS off in the app, I used black electrical tape followed by white electrical tape over the VPS sensors which disables it. I've also had compass issues with batteries sitting too close to the Compass. So I could see a scenario where you having the battery sitting on the legs like that,could cause the compass issue which would also cause drifting. But you don't get any errors stating that so you're probably fine there, probably just need to tape off your VPS sensors

Thank you! Great advice. I appreciate the insight. I'll check that out on the next modded flight.

Aloha,
Can you tell me where I can find the clip you use I'm in US
Mahalo
Jacques

Thanks! It still gave me problems with drifting, but it was more controllable. What split packs do you personally recommand for your p4?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen