Phantom 4 Pro (available in the DJI store)

I'm still waiting on my preordered P4P+. Ordered 2 weeks ago and still hasn't shipped from DJI. Word is the plus version is already on backorder and isn't expected until late Dec early January
Some people received the P4P+ today.

Just get the P4P with the built in screen. It's so worth it. I think they sold a lot more without the built in screen because folks want to use their iPads etc. Bad choice IMO, this thing integrates nicely and no more wires or incompatibility with phone programs etc. charges up with the TX and lasts a long time. Wish I had DJI stock.........lol

well, you need nd filters if you want to control the depth of field of your shots.
You really don't man. You can change the aperture now on the P4P. So you can stop down to say F11 now to get to your target frame rate for cinematic footage. But you are right if you want to maintain some blur with depth of field with wider apertures and still be able to stay at your desired frame rate for smoothness in footage.

Seriously, how often are you going to be filming something where you want to blur the background? In order to do that you need to get dangerously close to your subject. Also factor in that you need at least a APS-C sized sensor to realize any meaningful bokeh. Only reason for a ND filter is to get frame rates down to 60fps to 120fps. I'd say f8 before diffraction sets in. Remember that this is only a 1 inch point and shoot sensor. Think Sony RX100. Still very good for our purposes but certainly not DSLR caliber. When the day comes where they put a APS-C sensor in the Phantom 9, then we will be cooking with gas.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
I'm still waiting on my preordered P4P+. Ordered 2 weeks ago and still hasn't shipped from DJI. Word is the plus version is already on backorder and isn't expected until late Dec early January. Best Buy isn't carrying either but quite a few local distributors are carrying the P4P. I'm thinking of cancelling my order with DJI and buying the P4P instead. I'm not about to get screwed liked the Mavic folks who preordered & are still waiting. Problem is, the plus version is only 300 more if your purchase it now. If you wait and buy the controller separately later on, than it's 599. WTF!?

I don't like the built in monitor crap, I like the ability to pick my device. Sometimes I travel with an iPad so I would prefer to use that. Because of that, i got a P4P and I will order a crystal sky when they come out. I can't imagine them being more than $300-500 for the smaller ones, and it will allow me to (probably) use it with future phantoms. Paying the $300 for the plus takes a chance that the plus remote may not work with future devices, however a crystal sky should :)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I don't like the built in monitor crap, I like the ability to pick my device. Sometimes I travel with an iPad so I would prefer to use that. Because of that, i got a P4P and I will order a crystal sky when they come out. I can't imagine them being more than $300-500 for the smaller ones, and it will allow me to (probably) use it with future phantoms. Paying the $300 for the plus takes a chance that the plus remote may not work with future devices, however a crystal sky should :)

Yeah, also I always keep wondering what's happening in case it gets bricked or you break it? Another failure point to my eyes. I like the option to pick the device I want both in terms of size and power, who knows what's in there? Besides, experience on iOS devices has been flawless for me, definitely don't want to use some experimental build of Android.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Yeah, also I always keep wondering what's happening in case it gets bricked or you break it? Another failure point to my eyes. I like the option to pick the device I want both in terms of size and power, who knows what's in there? Besides, experience on iOS devices has been flawless for me, Defoe don't want to use some experimental build of Android.

The only thing I'm worried about is that DJI has been focusing on IOS for a while; does this signal the end of iOS priority?

Seriously, how often are you going to be filming something where you want to blur the background? In order to do that you need to get dangerously close to your subject. Also factor in that you need at least a APS-C sized sensor to realize any meaningful bokeh. Only reason for a ND filter is to get frame rates down to 60fps to 120fps. I'd say f8 before diffraction sets in. Remember that this is only a 1 inch point and shoot sensor. Think Sony RX100. Still very good for our purposes but certainly not DSLR caliber. When the day comes where they put a APS-C sensor in the Phantom 9, then we will be cooking with gas.
I agree with you on how many times are gonna want to blur something at say 20-30ft away hidaven! This is not portraiture! LOL. But with the lens on this new bird it has to be this way optically I'm assuming. As far as being forced to focus on things closer than usual because of lens design at this focal length with this sensor. I can only see this being of use at very close focus situations within 20ft and closer maybe. But I totally agree with you. But I will say that I am thrilled with this camera upgrade on the pro.

The only thing I'm worried about is that DJI has been focusing on IOS for a while; does this signal the end of iOS priority?

Don't think so at this stage, but they could not have implemented an iOS variant in their controller, Apple wouldn't allow it, so to push a built-in display, Android was the only way to go.

I doubt it will be the main option purchased, I think lots of people either already have nice tablets to avoid the premium or simply want to make their choice and be able to swap in case of low battery, malfunction or whatever. And in regards to portability and integration, while surely it must be nice not to have cables and save about 4 seconds for deploy, if this dictates the choice perhaps they should consider another bird/form factor.

Only interesting point for me is the super high brightness, rest is lacklustre (size, resolution, and surely relatively low in cpu power).

You really don't man. You can change the aperture now on the P4P. So you can stop down to say F11 now to get to your target frame rate for cinematic footage. But you are right if you want to maintain some blur with depth of field with wider apertures and still be able to stay at your desired frame rate for smoothness in footage.

i dont shoot anything at f11, most lenses have the best resolution at 4.5 to 5.5 or so. I have a full assortment of nd filters i use all the time on the 5 lenses I use on my X5 raw. I make all of my income shooting video and I have a lot of cameras. If a camera I own doesnt have built in nd filters, I have a full assortment of expensive nd filters to add to the front of my lenses.
I also have a few 1" sensor cameras that give nice dof shots, if done right.

Last edited:
Reactions: ricphoto
Yeah I would agree with you John except the sentence where you said most lenses have the best resolution at 4.5 or 5.5. First, the resolution is not affected at all. But the sharpness is affected for sure. And most lenses are sharpest at 2.5 to 3 stops from it's widest aperture. So an f2.8 lens would be best or sharpest around f 5.6- f8. But I agree with you that I would rather shoot more open and use ND anyway as it helps with glare and color quality due to the coatings on them. I am really looking forward to experimenting with diff apertures and DOF with this new P4! I bet you love that X5 Raw man!

one situation where having the adjustable f-stop will really come in handy is when you need to both slow the shutter and bring the sky and ground values closer together using a split ND...
(Now if someone would hurry up and make a nice 3 set of Neutral Splits for this camera I'd be a happy man :)...

one situation where having the adjustable f-stop will really come in handy is when you need to both slow the shutter and bring the sky and ground values closer together using a split ND...
(Now if someone would hurry up and make a nice 3 set of Neutral Splits for this camera I'd be a happy man :)...
That would be very cool for sure with gradated filters! Surely Polar Pro is gonna do something like this eventually.

I asked after the announcement and it's low on their priority list right now...their P4 grad set had 2 useless colored splits and one .3 neutral density split...I would like a full .3-.6-.9 neutral set

Have been wanting a drone for a few months now and finally bought a Phantom 4 Pro!

After doing weeks of research I came across this forum which has been extremely helpful in answering many of my questions. A friend of mine who has had many drones recommended me to Advexure here in Los Angeles. I've seen all of the raving reviews and feedback regarding Advexure's service on this forum and online and must say my experience has been absolutely awesome with them.

I've probably emailed and called them 20 times in the last 3 weeks and have chatted on their website regarding questions I had probably 3 or 4 times. Very knowledgeable, helpful and patient guys which means the world to me as a 57 year old getting into drones for the first time.

Thank you Advexure for being so helpful! Looking forward to receiving my P4P tomorrow.

Yes. The outside of the P4P remote controller is identical to the P4 remote controller.

thx for the reply.
have you had any problems calabrateing the imu?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie