Phantom 4 Pro (available in the DJI store)

I'm not 100% sure that occurred with the Mavic. Some did order the Mavic plus 1 battery. Their order was shipped based on their order date via the DJI store. I can't confirm if this was true for everyone.

Guess we'll wait and see. I could see there being a massive extended runtime battery shortage because existing P4 owners will also be ordering them.

If I know DJI, the immediate priority will go to those who ordered the new batteries with their Phantom 4 Pro.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Are you able to install other apps and connect to WiFi on the P4Pro built in monitor or is it strictly there to use the DJI Go app? I'm thinking about this because I use Drone Deploy for mapping, HD Sync for Healthy Drones, and Cloudlight for use with 3D goggles.

There is currently only speculation as to wether 3rd party apps will be officially allowed on the P4P+. That said people are clever and someone is bound to figure out how to do it (voiding their warrantee maybe).

Are you able to install other apps and connect to WiFi on the P4Pro built in monitor or is it strictly there to use the DJI Go app? I'm thinking about this because I use Drone Deploy for mapping, HD Sync for Healthy Drones, and Cloudlight for use with 3D goggles.
This has been discussed extensively in other threads. The built-in monitor does support Wi-Fi but is not reported to support 3rd party apps, at least not at time of introduction. What the future will be is unknown, but if your use case depends on 3rd party apps then you are stuck with a consumer phone or tablet at this point.

Also it should be noted that no 3rd party apps are yet compatible with any P4P version since DJI has not released a SDK yet for the P4P line, but this is expected soon. If you must have absolute certainty though you will need to wait.

There is currently only speculation as to wether 3rd party apps will be officially allowed on the P4P+. That said people are clever and someone is bound to figure out how to do it (voiding their warrantee maybe).
Using 3rd party apps can void the warranty when used on any DJI product and there are several documented cases of DJI refusing warranty coverege when logs or other evidence indicate that 3rd party control apps have been used. DJI can be a real tight-*** when it comes to denying warranty coverage for any reason they can find.

That is a shame, they create an SDK, so they clearly want 3rd party apps.
Yes, DJI's behavior can be pretty inscrutable sometimes. You see both reports of good CS and reports of the worst CS ever, and unfortunately the latter are much greater in number. DJI is essentially judge, jury, and executioner in any dispute and that is that. Normally the free market would fix that and customers would simply move to a more customer-friendly vendor, but DJI is just so far ahead of anyone else there's really nowhere else to go. If anyone does ever catch up DJI is really going to have to change their business practices in order to survive, but that date seems a long way off.

They are not saying the sensors do not work in any other mode; its implying the range and distance is different.
Update: check the new user guide. It says: "The 3D Infrared Sensing System is only active in Beginner mode and Tripod Mode. Fly with caution." :( Too bad. This is certainly a disappointment.

Reactions: thedjtec
I just saw that. I'm OK with the Tripod mode as that makes perfect sense due to the fact that the Phantom will physically move if it encounters an object within its sensors. I don't think DJI wanted the drone to fly forward at a good pace with it bouncing around the sky each time it passed an object along it's sides. Oh well, I guess the next version of the Phantom may allow it to function at a faster speed.

I also noticed that the sensor of travel (front or back) can be used at a good speed, but if you wish both front & rear sensors to work at the same time you have to fly no faster than 13MPH which again makes perfect sense.

So far I'm OK with how the sensors are set up to function.

Update: check the new user guide. It says: "The 3D Infrared Sensing System is only active in Beginner mode and Tripod Mode. Fly with caution." :( Too bad. This is certainly a disappointment.

I'm fine with that, and it's completely understandable. I also can't think of too many salutations where I would be moving fast sideways and want those sensors anyways! Maybe a software update down the road will introduce new usage. Similar to a Tesla, the hardware is already present and software can add new features!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Sure would be nice if they could take the upgraded features of the P4Pro and put those in the Mavic it would be a awesome bird!

Hey guys, do you know what is the flight time on a standard P4 using the new larger capacity P4P batteries ? would that be the same time or maybe increased time over P4P since the P4S is using less sensors and a smaller camera, that may slightly affect the flight time ? maybe? lol
I am thinking of maybe just buying the P4 as I currently own the P3P and I can see some great deals going on today on P4's, this would be a nice and cost effective upgrade for me.

I do not understand, I order mine on November 15 and DJI told me that will be shipped on 20 December
]

Gave up today on my pre-order with DJI for my P4 Pro. Advexure will have them in stock locally here in LA on Monday...lost my patience on cookie cutter responses or no responses from the practically non-existent DJI direct customer service.

Not sure why I didn't just wait for Advexure to have it on their site. I think I got two or three of my other drones from them a couple years ago and the guys there have always been great.

It's here it's here! **** does this thing look like 1800.00. Much better build quality than the Mavic Pro. Camera and gimbal are SOLID. Beefier motors, solid non folding props. But the absolute icing on the cake is the laser blinding LCD screen on this big daddy! I can't believe this screen gets this bright! I'm sure this thing is increasing global warming as I watch it. I'm talking flash light bright! Completely lights up a dark room. Worth the price increase alone unless you fly with your head under a towel. Remote is solid and def. 5 hours of battery time unlike the 45 min. Nonsense with the Mavic. The cherry on the icing is the reduced lag of the built in screen. I have it sitting on my lap watching TV with me. Also a big big plus is the dreadful sun glare with the Mavic is gone. Point that Mavic anywhere near direct sun and the thing flares like crazy, almost none with the P4P. And honestly, take away the P4P landing gear and it's not much bigger than the Mavic. The many things that this platform offers over the Mavic is worth the extra size IMO. From a technological standpoint the Mavic can't compete. Portability only goes so far. This P4P is a game changer. Footage and stills are a big leap over the Mavic and anything that came before it. It's that good.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
I'm still waiting on my preordered P4P+. Ordered 2 weeks ago and still hasn't shipped from DJI. Word is the plus version is already on backorder and isn't expected until late Dec early January. Best Buy isn't carrying either but quite a few local distributors are carrying the P4P. I'm thinking of cancelling my order with DJI and buying the P4P instead. I'm not about to get screwed liked the Mavic folks who preordered & are still waiting. Problem is, the plus version is only 300 more if your purchase it now. If you wait and buy the controller separately later on, than it's 599. WTF!?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl