Phantom 4 Poor Video Quality - Lemon?

I *suspect* that, but still want to see the difference in Alex's P3 videos (awesome work, btw) and P4 videos's he says are showing mpeg artifacts. Basically, any movement in the frame with lots of small details kills the video. It can be grass, tree branches, water with small ripples, rocks...
Seems to be playing.. I made the link accessible only through direct link/embed, does a little full screen icon not show up for you on the bottom?

I went into my backup drives to look at raw P3 footage that I haven't looked at in awhile... and ****, it looks way better than anything I'm getting on the P4. Fingers crossed for a better copy next round..

Hi this is the wrong place to post think
But I am new to dji I just bought the p4 and wanted to know how people are showing the telemetry in a video
Plus if someone could tell me how to get the icons back in the dji go app under me

Seems to be playing.. I made the link accessible only through direct link/embed, does a little full screen icon not show up for you on the bottom?

It does not show up full screen icon. Clicking on vimeo logo usually opens new browser tab and opens up vimeo in it. Does not do it here.

I went into my backup drives to look at raw P3 footage that I haven't looked at in awhile... and ****, it looks way better than anything I'm getting on the P4. Fingers crossed for a better copy next round..

Please, please, please Alex. Can you 1) make sure 3D filtering turned Off in P4 and 2) upload P3 sample somewhere unprocessed. I'm on a edge of buying and it can be a deal breaker for me if P4 compression is worse than P3.

Stunning works, btw. Just stunning...

I don't use any yet, but I guess I need advice on what to use, photoshop sounds good as I already have it, I'd like a cheap quick editor just to bring out the colours, nothing rocket science.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
I'm just new with the P4 too but found it outperforms my expectations. Here is a single frame edited with only irfanview . . great detail from a digital zoom.
This is just a quick composite to show the possibilities from a single frame. Irfanview has simple controls and a wide variety of filters and adjustments . . and its FREE
Barnroof.jpg

I'm just new with the P4 too but found it outperforms my expectations. Here is a single frame edited with only irfanview . . great detail from a digital zoom.
This is just a quick composite to show the possibilities from a single frame. Irfanview has simple controls and a wide variety of filters and adjustments . . and its FREE
View attachment 52269
Looks like you got a good copy. No way I could crop details that clean from my stills.

Must be some software issue . . can't imagine the lens is so bad. Might be hard getting dji's attention. They are not much for customer service.
I did use ifranview to zoom and crop but no other filters or adjustments so it should be possible to get clean digital zooms alright . . did you take the plastic film off the lens . . just kidding!

Last edited:
I've noticed that d-log is almost completely unusable and it's interesting you say it was fine with the p3....your stuff looks amazing so I totally trust your interpretation of what is good and bad. Would be interested in your views on the footage I'll be posting today...
I have a P4 and I posted dlog footage that is fine.

View attachment 52269

Very nice will check it out, finally got a video editor myself, called movavi, pretty good for videos and Simple to use

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Not for me... even with it off, depending on the color mode or sharpness settings, it's there and bad (mostly in shadows). My P4 is off to CA for 'repair' or exchange.

Was DJI willing to replace/repair easily, or you had to pull "resources"? ;) Let us know how long it takes to get P4 back and how the video looks after.

Reactions: skyeboysteve
Was DJI willing to replace/repair easily, or you had to pull "resources"? ;) Let us know how long it takes to get P4 back and how the video looks after.
I'll post how they do response/exchange, right now it just has a service ticker that it was received.. I do have DJI care, not sure if that'll help the likelihood they'll just swap me.

I am so dumb, I dont know how to say if my video is normal or abnormal, Please view in 4k and advise, I uploaded the copy straight from the SD card and Dont know how to have 1080 available in youtube, Its only giving me 360 or 4k

This was taken with 4k 30 fps
Are you in DLog or what color mode?

Looked similar to the problem, as far as mushy details (best example is looking at faces, they look almost like blurred smudges without eyes/nose/lips).

Although, you also have a lot of blow-out/sunflare in that shot, which doesn't help.

You should record the same scene switching between standard, none, dlog, cine, etc modes and then look at them on computer in full size to compare.

Also looked at your "Montreal Sunset" vid at 1080p, that seemed to be pretty terrible quality...

Not sure how to tell about that one, i shot that around 8pm at night
Well, I mean Phantoms have pretty terrible low-light performance in general, but usually when you're shooting city lights/dusk, it shouldn't look like that.. there were crazy artifacts (maybe the 3d Noise Filter issue) but there also just wasn't any sharpness or definition in the buildings, etc.

I think his Montreal Sunset is ruined in post. It's 720p to begin with. We need non-youtube samples to really see what' going on...
Where do you see that? It's available in 1080p on YT.. maybe it autoplayed for you at 720 based on speed. Or are saying his native clip was shot in 720? I wasn't aware you could see that info on a YT upload. Why would anyone record in 720 to begin with.

I think his Montreal Sunset is ruined in post. It's 720p to begin with. We need non-youtube samples to really see what' going on...

You are right, that one direct from phone and not from SD card, so thats 720p that cached in phone quality
my upload speed slower, im uploading another one, should be up in 20 min or so

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4