Phantom 4 Poor Video Quality - Lemon?

Before you make judgement and try to get too technical please check the lens closely and see if you find a small, clear piece of plastic(very thin) it'll have a tiny tab(how I found it) and it only makes the quality suffer a little. I guess its an extra bit of protection.

I've been testing my Phantom 4 for the last 2 weeks, and all I can conclude is I must have a 'lemon' or bad copy of the camera. I hope.

For context, yes I have been using DJI Phantoms since model one on up to the Phantom 3 Pro, so I am very well versed on the settings, flight, and expected quality.

The footage I am getting looks very soft, pastel-like, with little detail. The colors are best described as 'smudgy'.

I have tested footage on the full gamut of sharpness settings and color modes, including my default DLOG mode and post-processing, however the problem remains...

Footage on my previous Phantom 3 Pro was outstanding. I do not still have it currently to film side by side comparisons, but my Phantom 4 video quality seems like a big step backwards.

I haven't read about a widespread issue or complaints, has anyone else has issues like this? Look at the screen captures, especially in foliage or grass, it looks like crap.
It's my first Phantom, I haven't used it much, but so far I totally agree with you regarding video quality. Do you have an update on the issue?

Last edited:
I just want to make sure you are not making the mistake that I was making… I was using the placeholder video instead of the original video from the sd card. All of my video, and photos that did not sat original looked like that. I then found out you have to download the original files.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I just want to make sure you are not making the mistake that I was making… I was using the placeholder video instead of the original video from the sd card. All of my video, and photos that did not sat original looked like that. I then found out you have to download the original files.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I can only see the .MOV video file and the .SRT file on the sd card. The .MOV file is about 60 Mbit/sec, so I guess that is the original video. I can't see a placeholder video file.

I've been testing my Phantom 4 for the last 2 weeks, and all I can conclude is I must have a 'lemon' or bad copy of the camera. I hope.

Any updates? Also heard some other complaints about IQ of P4 like yours. Very concerned about this before I actually buy one.

An update...

I originally tried to get input from DJI about this, and then just asked for a RMA to exchange and see if a new copy was any better. Three service tickets in, and about a dozen automated response emails leading me in circles, I think I've given up and decided shooting with 'None' selected as color style, setting sharpness to +1, contrast to -3, was the best possible result I could get.

Here's an example of those settings, with post grading -
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Bigdz and martybabe

For context, yes I have been using DJI Phantoms since model one on up to the Phantom 3 Pro, so I am very well versed on the settings, flight, and expected quality.

The footage I am getting looks very soft, pastel-like, with little detail. The colors are best described as 'smudgy'.

I have tested footage on the full gamut of sharpness settings and color modes, including my default DLOG mode and post-processing, however the problem remains...

Footage on my previous Phantom 3 Pro was outstanding. I do not still have it currently to film side by side comparisons, but my Phantom 4 video quality seems like a big step backwards.

I haven't read about a widespread issue or complaints, has anyone else has issues like this? Look at the screen captures, especially in foliage or grass, it looks like crap.

Hi there, Alex....I've got a similar problem with mine...mushyness, lack of resolution, general softness

Hi there, Alex....I've got a similar problem with mine...mushyness, lack of resolution, general softness

Just hit another thread with people with the p4 with the same problem, I watched Their videos, and there seems to be a smudgyness, heavily pixilated compared to my advanced, maybe it's a fault in the p4? Hope not.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hi, I too am fed up with this drone. I have stuffed around with the settings to the point where I am convinced DJI screwed up the camera portion of these drones.

I find the quality is worse when flying over grasses, trees and vegetation. It looks posterized and smudged.

The descriptions sound like the same problem/assessment.

It's hard to tell without samples, some people are claiming their P4 copies are sharp or without this issue... but it's all relative to expectations.

Even after all the discussion I still don't have a clear grasp on whether it's a unit-to-unit issue or the P4 line/firmware in general.

It would help if people mentioned if they've owned a P3P/A before. My benchmark for comparison is extensive filming w/ a P3P, in DLOG, and never had any issues like this...

Still torn between doing an RMA (and maybe just getting the same bird back, after they tell me nothing is wrong with it. Or getting a new copy but with the same quality results, so I just lost 3-4 weeks of flying time for nothing.) or waiting to see if a new firmware update changes anything.

Last edited:
The descriptions sound like the same problem/assessment.

It's hard to tell without samples, some people are claiming their P4 copies are sharp or without this issue... but it's all relative to expectations.

Even after all the discussion I still don't have a clear grasp on whether it's a unit-to-unit issue or the P4 line/firmware in general.

It would help if people mentioned or not if they've owned a P3P/A. My benchmark for comparison is extensive filming w/ a P3P, in DLOG, and never had any issues like this...

Still torn between doing an RMA (and maybe just getting the same bird back, after they tell me nothing is wrong with it. Or getting a new copy but with the same quality results, so I just lost 3-4 weeks of flying time for nothing.) or waiting to see if a new firmware update changes anything.

Like I said above though, I am getting sharper/cleaner results using color mode 'None'. It's just not optimal, since I want that DLOG setting for the best possible editing starting point and dynamic range. All the other non-DLOG color modes are also sharp enough/normal, but then all kinds of shadow-noise and artifact-ing comes into play (also never happened on P3P).

I've noticed that d-log is almost completely unusable and it's interesting you say it was fine with the p3....your stuff looks amazing so I totally trust your interpretation of what is good and bad. Would be interested in your views on the footage I'll be posting today...

I've noticed that d-log is almost completely unusable and it's interesting you say it was fine with the p3....your stuff looks amazing so I totally trust your interpretation of what is good and bad. Would be interested in your views on the footage I'll be posting today...
Thanks, sure I'll check it out.

For me that long 20-something vid on the other thread is the best reference to what my P4 is NOT able to capture. Although even if I had his copy I still wouldn't be completely happy, the noisy/artifacts that show up when gimbal tilting are shot-killing, and again was definitely not present on my P3P. Seems to be a problem almost every P4 owner has reported regardless of the sharpen/mush issue.

There's a good example to compare against in this P3P vid at :46 seconds in. I do an active gimbal tilt while rising up, no flashy flashy noisy noisy there.
-

Last edited:
Here's an example of those settings, with post grading -

Can't watch this full screen. Trying to get it directly from vimeo by ID 162934761 - also does not work...

Thanks, sure I'll check it out.

For me that long 20-something vid on the other thread is the best reference to what my P4 is NOT able to capture. Although even if I had his copy I still wouldn't be completely happy, the noisy/artifacts that show up when gimbal tilting are shot-killing, and again was definitely not present on my P3P. Seems to be a problem almost every P4 owner has reported regardless of the sharpen/mush issue.

There's a good example to compare against in this P3P vid at :46 seconds in. I do an active gimbal tilt while rising up, no flashy flashy noisy noisy there.
-
Can't watch this full screen. Trying to get it directly from vimeo by ID 162934761 - also does not work...

that thing that happens when you tilt the gimbal up and down is fixed by switching off 3d softness

that thing that happens when you tilt the gimbal up and down is fixed by switching off 3d softness

I *suspect* that, but still want to see the difference in Alex's P3 videos (awesome work, btw) and P4 videos's he says are showing mpeg artifacts. Basically, any movement in the frame with lots of small details kills the video. It can be grass, tree branches, water with small ripples, rocks...

Not for me... even with it off, depending on the color mode or sharpness settings, it's there and bad (mostly in shadows). My P4 is off to CA for 'repair' or exchange.

Reactions: skyeboysteve

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31