Phantom 4 or Phantom 3 Pro

A little about me. I am an experienced RC airplane, helicopter, and drone pilot. I have had many different drones from micros to DJI knockoffs and have even built my own and now I want to step up to a more professional aircraft for recreational cinematography and photography.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I want something I'm not terrified will fly away every time I take it up.

:rolleyes:

I give up.

From what I have seen most "fly aways" are pilot error, not setting your home points correctly, failure to set your RTH altitude properly not being aware of your surroundings and potential problems. Granted there are some glitches but if you let the fear of that stop you from enjoying these drones then maybe this is not the hobby for you. I always tell my friends who are interested in starting this hobby..."If you cannot afford to see $1400 fly away from you, don't get into the hobby". LOL!

Nice information. So IF I buy the P4, should I buy a different RC? I have lots of mountains and trees here. I normally take shots of waterfalls and winding streams through the valleys. There are a number of places I can't shoot now because of my current knockoff DJI doesn't have the range. Get maybe 500 to 750ft. In those conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
I can only tell you that the Inspire RC (GL658A) does work better than the P4 RC when flying the P4 craft, better by far. You will still need the P4 RC to do your firmware updates, as the Inspire RC will not work to upgrade the P4 firmware.

The environment you describe would likely need more to optimize penetration, such as a directional Itelite antenna with Sunhans amp. If you have line of sight of the drone, you should not need an amp with the Inspire RC, the Itelite will work good. But before you buy the Itelite setup, try the Inspire controller with a windsurfer, that's a viable compromise that will provide you the option to be directional and maximize distance, and also the option to be omni-directional with less distance, simply by sliding the windsurfer on and off the antennas.

If you go behind trees, this is problematic for any setups, depending on the density and type of the trees. If you go behind mountains, there's nothing that will help that mistake.

Last edited:
jeebus Mari and Joseph.. The P3 isn't going to just fly away. If you do your pre-flight checks I think it is pretty unlikely that you will encounter a problem of any kind during flight. I have been flying mine for eight months. I don't baby it I fly it maximum range just about every 2-3 flights. I charge the batteries conduct pre-flight checks and fly the mess out of it. I would say the superior AC is the P4 get it. I think the P3 is right behind it on quality. The biggest reason I would go P4 is that it built a little sturdier and doesn't seem to have the shell cracks as frequently but DJI is making the best birds. DJI customer service is not horrible. I had a very good experience when exchanging my shell.

Phantom series flies farther
Flies on third party apps - plan missions in your living room - or on your laptop
best video
low latency

Just buy it.

Thanks for the info WetDog. So range aside, is the P4 reliable enough that if you had to go out today and replace your P3P would you buy the P4 or go back with a P3P? I want something I'm not terrified will fly away every time I take it up. I want one I can just enjoy the heck out of flying. Oh and take beautiful cinematic shots along the way. Is that too much to ask?

I'd buy a P3P again (in fact, I just did). But that's just me.

-- I have lots of P3 stuff - batteries, backpacks, RCs, antennas.

-- The P3 firmware is *probably* more stable than the P4 (DJI has had more whacks at it, practice makes perfect)

-- The P4 doesn't offer much that I am interested in (that's the key). I don't particularly want to go fast. In fact, I'm usually trying to figure out how to go slower (you don't pan quickly in 4K). I don't run into walls very often (trees are another story). The P4 camera system is really at the same level of the P3 (notwithstanding the '36% better' lens whatever the hell that means).

If you want to go fast or play chicken with large, stationary objects, the P4 is definitely for you. The P3 is also old tech - don't expect DJI to add any capabilities to it. The recent request for beta testers for the "PC ground station" is indicative of this, P3 owners need not apply.

P3s are a bit cheaper. A consideration if you play at the edge. That turns out to be the primary reason for not getting an Inspire. If I wreck a P3 I will be annoyed. If I drop an Inspire in the drink, my wife would probably make me swim after it. And then pull up the dive ladder.

YMMV.

Also - neither the P3 or the P4 (or the X3 level Inspires) is a 'professional' level video system. That horse left the barn a couple of years ago. The video is compromised by poor bit depth and poor bit rate and a marginal lens. It's acceptable for a lot of 'professional' (ie, you can charge for it) level video but the real video folks are, as usual, way beyond that. Look at the Inspire X5Raw for some inspiration (and desperation) and realize that that machine is at the bottom of the pro heap.

Just be sure you understand where your competitors are.

Last edited:
923cbd817a0100948260b0fa82daf3a0_thumb.jpg

Well I went and took the leap. Thanks for everyone's comments and ideas. I can't wait to get her airborne.

Reactions: Brandten
Congrats, take your time in the firmware updates and settings. I am continually amazed how much fun and the quality video and pics that are achievable with this bird.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Hi all. I'm new to the forum and I don't own a Phantom yet. I need all your expert opinions and experience to help make my decision. I am wanting to purchase the Phantom 4 but I've been kinda put off by all the bad reviews on Amazon.com. I've been around the block a time or two and know to take most reviews at face value and that some people are even paid to slander so competitors can gain an advantage. But, so many bad reviews with different problems and all the complaints about customer service have me worried and looking at the Phantom 3 Professional as the alternative. As owners of the Phantom 4 what are your suggestions.
1- Are the bad reviews and accusations founded in truth?
2- Is the Phantom 3 Pro as good as the 4 in video quality and live streaming? I know the 3 has the Sony camera and both have Lightbridge.
3- How is DJI customer support really?
4- If it was you would you buy the 4, the 3 pro, or wait?

A little about me. I am an experienced RC airplane, helicopter, and drone pilot. I have had many different drones from micros to DJI knockoffs and have even built my own and now I want to step up to a more professional aircraft for recreational cinematography and photography.

The P-4, absolutely, no question about it, and get some goggles too, you'll enjoy it even more. Just stay within the limitations of the P-4, you won't be sorry!

No brainer. P4. I have had them all and there are so many reasons to buy the 4 over anything.

I'm willing to spend up to 2k so the 4 and some of the package deals on amazon are not a problem. I love the features of the 4 but I just don't want to by a $1,500.00 headache. I know how sometimes new product releases are rushed and the bugs are worked out later. I was just hoping to get the 4 at a time when most of the bugs have been removed.
currently there are no bugs and I have found customer support outstanding currently. In the past it was marginal at best. I have both the P-3 PRO, and the P-4.There are some enhanced features on the P-4 that are seldom mentioned i.e. dual IMU's, and dual compass. The GPS hold is much better using the P-4, as well as slightly better range. Couple of minutes increase in flight time as well The GO-APP is also a fantastic user friendly tool as well. You will not be disappointed with either one of these airframes but based on your comments here think you should get the P-4. All this crystal ball stuff about a soon release of P-5 may or may not be true but really for a recreational drone I get go wrong with either. I have always bought mine from the DJI O.L. store. enjoy donnie

Hi all. I'm new to the forum and I don't own a Phantom yet. I need all your expert opinions and experience to help make my decision. I am wanting to purchase the Phantom 4 but I've been kinda put off by all the bad reviews on Amazon.com. I've been around the block a time or two and know to take most reviews at face value and that some people are even paid to slander so competitors can gain an advantage. But, so many bad reviews with different problems and all the complaints about customer service have me worried and looking at the Phantom 3 Professional as the alternative. As owners of the Phantom 4 what are your suggestions.
2- Is the Phantom 3 Pro as good as the 4 in video quality and live streaming? I know the 3 has the Sony camera and both have Lightbridge.

Most has been said but my two cents...I really don't see that many bad reviews on P3P or P4, at least in the last 6 months. Both Quads are really excellent, in my opinion. I fly a P3P mainly because I got it NIB from Microcenter, on sale, for $699. I have friends who have P4's and frankly, the only significant difference is that the P4 holds position like a rock! See Tom's Tech Time for some good info and side by side comparisons.
The other thing is that DJI has attracted a lot of 3rd party accessories and apps. Also, there is a lot more community support for DJI products, Phantoms, in particular.

Well to be totally honest I'm new to but I just bought a phantom 3 standard then because I got I little problem with the memory card slot meaning that the memory card wasn't click to stop coming out, anyway I went to the shop and the shop send the drone to Germany for repairs, or I myself could have send the drone direct to the company but I decided to let the shop have the our worries of packaging and so on, also just to let everyone know I put the card slightly on an angle so the spring inside must easily come of very easy, when you put the card inside make shore is horizontal position. So because I was going to wait and I'm one that can't wait I ended buying the phantom 4 and is very nice and I also done lots research and the phantom 4 is one of the best if not the best for the money, but if you are not to bothered about the k4 video I would go for the phantom 3 standard only because I find out a new app called ( litchi ), and with that app is almost as good as a phantom 4 minus the front cameras and ground Sonic eye so the stability on the 4 is close to none. But the 3 is not bad at all. You still be able to do everything with the 3 that you can with the 4 with the litchi app also you can fly using cheap goggles like £10 or less pounds. So if I was you I would get a phantom 3 then if in the near future the phantom 5 or something better comes out you haven't spent lots money. But don't buy the 3 pro because is the same money and as less goodies than the phantom 4 but if money is not a problem go for the 4 or wait until the 5 is out then probably you will have the best drone out. This is my opinion and I'm new to but I done lots research and flown both and the 4 is brilliant. But with litchi app I save myself lots money and go for phantom 3. And the company do help you if anything goes wrong like in my case, took about just over 2 weeks to get it back. But if you send the drone you directly to the company in Germany can take half of the time, obviously depends on what's is the problem. Hope my English is understandable and can help you decide. Another thing is you got much less to worry if anything is going wrong with a P3S not that's will because as long you got your satellites you should be ok. Good look

My son has the Phantom 3 Pro. I have the Phantom 4. If you are a serious amateur photographer or videographer, I would buy the 4 as the props sit up higher and you do not get prop shots in your recorded media as much as you do with the Phantom 3. The 4 has more flight time per battery. The 4 has obstacle avoidance sensors. In my opinion, the 4 has a sleeker look.

Prior to buying the 4, I called a semi-local DJI authorized repair shop and asked about turn around time for repairs. I was told that their average turn around time was between 1 to 2 weeks and less if you bring it in. Fortunately, I have not had the need for their services.

In answer to your question, I was on the fence as to which one to buy also. I obviously thought that the 4 was worth the extra money for the reasons stated above, so, that is what I bought.

Hope this helps.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl