Phantom 4 or Mavic Pro for real estate footage

Reaction score
I am a photographer and want to buy a drone for real estate photography and video.
I am tempted to get the Mavic, but I am not sure if the FOV of 20mm of the Phantom 4 is better suited for real estate then the 28mm of the Mavic.

What do you guys think?

I am a photographer and want to buy a drone for real estate photography and video.
I am tempted to get the Mavic, but I am not sure if the FOV of 20mm of the Phantom 4 is better suited for real estate then the 28mm of the Mavic.
Either would do a very good job.
With the Mavic, you wouldn't have to get in so close but you'd get less perspective distortion.

I say/went with the Mavic because with the phantom's wider FOV its harder to really make the target/house the center of attention. For real estate photography, you want to make the house the center of attention; not just a wide screen pano of the whole block.

Other benefits of the mavic:
-Easier indoor flying in tripod mode....possible to get some amazing shots inside the house.

Reactions: Mark Faircloth
The Mavic would be tempting for a number of reasons. The camera is likely to get equivalent quality images. Other than that, the advantages relate to its size.
  • It's easy to pack discreetly.
  • It's quick and easy to set up
  • It's (reportedly) quieter
  • It might be a little easier to maneuver around inside the house. That could be important because the wide angle lens will give a good room perspective
  • The whole thing would allow for more discretion that might cause a little less stir in the neighborhood.

P4 as it has a wider view. For those that want a narrower view, simply crop the P4's shot. To me it makes no sense to recommend a camera that has less ability for the reason that it's more limited.

I"m not sure why tripod mode would matter if you are mainly focusing on photos or video of something in one spot. You could simply use s a flight mode and set he speed to 2mph. Or you could always edit the sticks in the settings with a larger curve of slower speeds.

The Mavic is more portable.

P4 as it has a wider view. For those that want a narrower view, simply crop the P4's shot. To me it makes no sense to recommend a camera that has less ability for the reason that it's more limited.

I"m not sure why tripod mode would matter if you are mainly focusing on photos or video of something in one spot. You could simply use s a flight mode and set he speed to 2mph. Or you could always edit the sticks in the settings with a larger curve of slower speeds.

The Mavic is more portable.

I use the camera on the P4 like a prime lens, for that I never crop. Especially with the type of camera on the P4, it would degrade the quality.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

both would do the job! I have used successfully my p4 for investment properties so i can't fully attest on mavic yet, but based on specs and what footage i ve seen online, seems that will be perfectly capable plus it has the huge perks of the portability.
Now, as someone else mentioned above, look into taking your FAA part 107(already mandatory) if you intend to provide it as a service and charge money.

The Mavic would be tempting for a number of reasons.
  • It might be a little easier to maneuver around inside the house. That could be important because the wide angle lens will give a good room perspective

I would never fly a Mavic indoors in at a property I don't own with no prop guards. Also, the narrower Mavic 79 degree FOV for indoors isn't as effective as the Phantom3/4 FOV of 94 degrees. I think the OSMO+ is more appropriate for indoor video, safer, quicker, and more versatile.

Last edited:
I say/went with the Mavic because with the phantom's wider FOV its harder to really make the target/house the center of attention. For real estate photography, you want to make the house the center of attention; not just a wide screen pano of the whole block.

Other benefits of the mavic:
-Easier indoor flying in tripod mode....possible to get some amazing shots inside the house.

I don't understand why you would need to fly indoors? Unless it was a massive building your own hand could reach the same place and also closer to the wall and I might add 100% safer.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I say/went with the Mavic because with the phantom's wider FOV its harder to really make the target/house the center of attention.

There is no validity to this. Most any pilot can fly close enough to highlight anything as big as a house, especially with OA enabled. Plus, a neighborhood perspective is valuable knowledge to prospective buyers. I always include short clips of the surrounding neighborhood in the background from up high, agents love that, especially with view lots.

Reactions: Eddyfisher
I would never fly a Mavic indoors in at a property I don't own with no prop guards. Also, the narrower Mavic 79 degree FOV for indoors isn't as effective as the Phantom3/4 FOV of 94 degrees. I think the OSMO+ is more appropriate for indoor video, safer, quicker, and more versatile.

While the mavic does has a 79 degree FOV, it can be switched to portrait mode and take/make true 360 degree panoramic shot of the whole room/whatever else. And the small FOV outside...... just fly further back if you need wider shots. But again, the house is the point of attention not the 3-4 houses around it...

What do you guys think?
You will get much more stable and smooth shots if you use waypoint missions and Litchi. Unless Litchi has their app available for Mavic I would get the P4 or wait.

You can get some great indoor shots with the mavic using a combination of tripod mode, portrait mode, and panoramic.

Do prop guards on the P4 reduce its collision avoidance?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers