Phantom 4 noise level

Reaction score
Anyone know if the new Phantom 4 is any quieter than the P3? Getting the noise level down would be a welcomed improvement.

Unless we fly it out, we will not know the results but I don't think there would be any substantial difference in noise level. This guess is based on the size of the blades for P4. They appear to be almost the same and they got to lift 100 gms more weight so don't expect them to be quieter.

Another indication is from the motor sizes, their diameters appears to be almost the same, so they may have the same number of poles and similar speeds resulting into similar noise levels. Motors with bigger did to height ratio are low speed motors and require bigger blades or multi blades and produce less noise.

Unless we fly it out, we will not know the results but I don't think there would be any substantial difference in noise level. This guess is based on the size of the blades for P4. They appear to be almost the same and they got to lift 100 gms more weight so don't expect them to be quieter.

Another indication is from the motor sizes, their diameters appears to be almost the same, so they may have the same number of poles and similar speeds resulting into similar noise levels. Motors with bigger did to height ratio are low speed motors and require bigger blades or multi blades and produce less noise.

I did not use a sound meter but my P4 is louder than my P3P. At first I was concerned as I thought it had more of a whirring noise and motor related. With the props off the motors seem to be fine. I do have my props balanced but I am going to swap out the props to see if that helps. This is a heaver bird with stronger motors so this might be expected under load.

If you Google the subject you'll find the predominant factor is tip speed so don't expect different results from the same props (i.e. blade count, diameter, & pitch).

Agree with you. I just thought I might have a slightly bent prop that was contributing. I did not see any when I was balancing them however.

Makes sense that tip speed would be higher since the props are essentially the same between the two birds and the P4 is heavier.

I will do a little more research.

Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1