Phantom 4 Night Blades

Hey you think the Wright brothers first plane a was perfectly balanced machine, I applaud innovation, it spreads good ideas, some not so good. I agree on the balance issue, it may fly but sure there is some vibration, no matter how small with be transmitted into the drone putting more work on the gimbal, and rest of craft. I would also try using a rolling pin to flatten the little wires as much as possible before placing. Thought I had after seeing this, use sharpie pins and color alternating black and red bands on underside of prop, use tiny bright. White LEDs mounted on hub pointed out at bands of each prop, aiming before setting, wonder how that would look and balance out. I may have to sacrifice a blade for prototype.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

The reason people are freaked out him running the blades so grossly out of balance is that it could cause the aircraft to crash. If he is flying in a controlled area like inside a gym the only danger is to himself. Flying it like that outside in public airspace is a bad idea. If it should have a failure or control issue it could injure someone. You can liken it to a car that has compromised steering control... It works but could easily fail and become uncontrollable. You can bet the motors on these are not designed for that type of stress and running props that are so far out of balance will cause failure sooner or later.

These techniques have been around for years.
CP-helicopter guys did this over a decade ago.

Yes there were attempts by CP-copter folks to do this, but they typically failed due to vibration and larger batteries/light sources back in the day. This blade lighting system is unique on many counts - hats off to the inventor!!

Reactions: Dronego
Yes there were attempts by CP-copter folks to do this, but they typically failed due to vibration and larger batteries/light sources back in the day. This blade lighting system is unique on many counts - hats off to the inventor!!
I guess that is your experience. Correct?

It does not coincide with mine.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Really Interesting debate, like the idea, experimentation improves the breed. Go man!

Cool mod...
Looks like the debate is, how safe is it to fly with out of balance props.
My RC boat will shake the drive line apart in a few hours without a perfectly balanced prop... but it spins 50K rpms.
I say go for it, just keep it away from me..lol
Seriously, Fly it in uninhabited area's until it shakes itself apart.

Wow.....thank you guys for all the feedback! I will eventually fine tune my idea, didn't have all the items I needed to tweak it! The video I made was the maiden flight with the night blades. And I don't always fly with them on.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

What a cool idea, I must check your U tube site, Just to be safe as stated above you can probably rebalance props with a minor offset weight on other blade, should quiet the doom & gloomers, eh!
I wonder if my Fab'ing guy can drill a tiny hole the length of a prop, hmmmm?

Reactions: geolopez73
Really cool. . . .
We have to really carefull on attaching this battery + led, it could be unbalanced if we don't set it corectly in the center of props. , . . Can't imagine with those speed of spin, if something goes wrong and make trouble. . .

Great job. . . .

Sent from my SCL23 using PhantomPilots mobile app

would be interesting if someone molded them into blades, or a way to make a lightweight 3d printed snap on attachment out of a clear material. time to fire up autocad ;)

would be interesting if someone molded them into blades, or a way to make a lightweight 3d printed snap on attachment out of a clear material. time to fire up autocad ;)

Someone is probably working on that concept now. With all the technology available today with 3D printers, it shouldn't be too difficult to design and manufacture these parts.

But, with all this information being shared on this thread, I haven't heard anyone talking about copyright or design patents. Someone will eventually make money on this idea.

Reactions: Dronego
Someone is probably working on that concept now. With all the technology available today with 3D printers, it shouldn't be too difficult to design and manufacture these parts.

But, with all this information being shared on this thread, I haven't heard anyone talking about copyright or design patents. Someone will eventually make money on this idea.

my teenager loves autocad projects like this and he has way more time on his hands than i do ;) i have some clear glow in the dark filament laying around, getting excited to fire up the 3d printer again!

Reactions: captainmilehigh
my teenager loves autocad projects like this and he has way more time on his hands than i do ;) i have some clear glow in the dark filament laying around, getting excited to fire up the 3d printer again!

Sounds like a plan. Also sounds like you are just as excited as your son. Good luck with design and construction. [emoji3]

I'm open to suggestions. But the prop has to be modified to accommodate a flat surface for the battery! Also the battery could be smaller! But must be 3V, unless a lower voltage LED can be found. But I've found tiny SMD LEDs pre wired so that's what I went with. Heavy duty double sided tape to hold it in place, or a way to 3D print a holder with a positive & negative connection. Or even a way to make it so you can just charge a small battery rite from the prop, but I think that would add to much weight....like I said I'm open to suggestions, but I have an idea of what I'm going to use to tweak this mod!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl