Phantom 4 Night Blades

It's better for you to do your own research now that you know a bit more about where it has been used before.

Reactions: WilsonFlyer
I believe I'm the first to ever do this on a phantom series....happy flying!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

You don't have to believe me but they re way out of balance. I can guarantee it. With all the electronics and tightness built into the modern multi, it may appear transparent, but it's causing problems. You choosing to accept that risk is, of course, completely up to you. :)

Reactions: sactownjames
These techniques have been around for years.
CP-helicopter guys did this over a decade ago.

Oh yeah. Nothing original here at all. We've been doing this kind of thing ever since we started flying at night many years ago.

Just so you know. You seem kind of bowed up and proud of your mod like you've done something original, hence the criticisms. I assure you there's nothing original here except the platform you did it on, and even that's been done before.

Having said that, what you are actually doing is creating danger. Your obvious lack of expertise in RC is showing. You show a total disregard for the fact that not only one propeller, but FOUR are now greatly out of balance, thus creating a potentially dangerous situation for you and those around you.

Also drilling a hole in the hub is a BIG no-no. Ask anyone that was around in the early days of the 350QX how a weakened hub works out. You have jeopardized the structural integrity engineered into an already weak design to begin with (THAT is the nature of plastic RC parts and beyond your control.).

These are just facts. They are not personal, but we have a fiduciary responsibility to expose potential risks so others realize the potential jeopardy they may cause, and that's exactly what I'm doing here.

It's like a lot of things. It's cute until an accident occurs. Then it's not so cute anymore.

Reactions: sactownjames
That's a really cool mod. But please be careful... As the rotors spin fast eventually the tape will stretch and get weak causing the battery to fly off, and with the wire it's like putting a weight on the end of a piece of string. It could come off, hit the other props causing it to shatter and then fall from the sky seriously hurting or even killing someone. I applaud your idea and think it looks great.... Personally it's something I wouldnt do myself

Sent from my Power using PhantomPilots mobile app

That's a very good point too. Once that tape comes loose (and it WILL) and centrifugal force/motion takes over, those wires are likely headed to very bad place. Guess what happens then.

They are for show only, and moderate flying....like I said, not to be flown in sport mode witch is my personal preference mode. Slow casual flying guys! Tell me who else has done this on a phantom? Look at my vids on YouTube....geolopez914

Tape has not come loose what's so ever! The tape has been pressed on very good with no bubbles. What would you guys suggest me do?.......glue the wire on? Cmon guys!

Personally for me I done the same idea as you but on an electric unicycle... Used neon lights that make the tyre look like something from tron... All was well till it did eventually come lose and got caught up between the tyre and bear in mind the tyre doesn't spin as fast as the props. The same could happen with your mod. Like I said I love the idea and do appreciate your mod.... But always check the tape and battery before and after flight :)

Sent from my Power using PhantomPilots mobile app

How about a little constructive criticism.....!
I suggest 3 things to optimize this mod:
1. Don't put the LEDs at the tips of the prop. The wires being so long are higher risk, and creates a greater balance issue. The shorter the wires the better. Place them about half way down the prop out instead of the tips. This would still give a cool effect.
2. Consider running the wire on the top of the prop for better aerodynamics. Drill your small hole half way down in the middle of the blade instead of the hub. I think the risk of prop failure would be less, plus the hole drilled in the blade would help to counterbalance the wire on the props. Make the hole just big enough for the wire, but small enough so the LED can't fit through. Then feed the wire from the bottom of the hole to the top of the blade. Pull the wire until the LED hits the hole and cannot fit through, that's where the LED will be positioned, filling the hole. Run the wire on the top of the blade to the battery. There will be less wind drag with the wire on the top of the blade, running in the middle of the blade on the top. The blade hole will help to hold the LED taunt on the end and help prevent the tape and LED from detaching.
3. Get a Dubrow balancer and put some counter balance weight on the other side of the props, such as nail polish at the tips, on the top. Balancing your props are important with such a mod as this.

Last edited:
C'mon, our P4 is more agile and tolerant than we would expect. He can even do 360 turns if needed - that's awesome [emoji851]

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. ;)

You guys are typical. As long as everybody's blowing smoke up your ***, it's all rainbows and unicorns, but if somebody comes along with a criticism, even if legitimate; you are quick to criticize and judge.

If you look at the first page, it appears all he really wanted to do was to promote his youtube page. Sorry. A spade's a spade.

Jeopardizing safety for sake of publicity is exactly what's put our hobby in the condition and microscope its under today. Again, telling you something you obviously don't want to hear, but it doesn't change the facts.

Listen "Wilson" I've been in RC for 20+ years now! I am very aware of the risks of modding!!! How about a little constructive criticism.....and I'm sure it's been done before.....just not on a phantom!![emoji38]

i was going to chime in with the same, this place can be an angry hornets nest at times........

More seriously from my previous post. These kind of mods are looking nice but flying in public is clearly a no no as there is potential risks, and not necessarily immediatly observable. Just think about the impact of possible vibrations on electronic boards.

And even if everything works perfectly it is not a good idea to potentially increase risks, goal being to be respectful with the drone community. Because the below can happen;

Don't underestimate there will be people trying to copy the concept but not necessarily with same acuracy or safety mesures.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.