Phantom 4 new battery clip/mod

Got mine, but had a helluva time installing it. Two minutes?!?!?

First, that stuff is heavy! Took me ten minutes just to drag it all the way down to the end of the compartment. Then, getting those pieces over the contacts. I was up there on a ladder pushing hard, and fell down twice! How'd you do it so fast?

Anyway, mission accomplished after 45 minutes and some bruises. Here it is, with me showing off those difficult blade connections!

man in battery compartment.jpg

(credit to @richpoolside , I borrowed his picture for this bit of fun)

I've done test like that in a circle while exploring speed efficiency. Once I performed the test in calm air in a straight line, the differences were dramatic. Something about turning in that small of a diameter is inefficient. Turbulence in rough air is also wasting amazing amounts of energy.

de39dceab6be3bc81fa5827010c6a8b6.jpg
b65cc369f5761b37a399b0e12a7a2129.jpg
9bad6d51a45b188af0173739dccfe99e.jpg
7d9415d7bc9dd4b33a95777b2ac5934b.jpg

Ok, was the battery mod worth it ?? I did two flights the first with the two extra battery's added in (p) mode , second flight was with just standard battery in (p) mode both full throttle and both flights return to home was pressed when told to by safe return , first did fly further but had more battery left after landing , both flights were at approx 100m high and at 30km speed out and 35km speed return .
I did expect a lot more flight time with the two extra battery's

Ok, was the battery mod worth it ?? I did two flights the first with the two extra battery's added in (p) mode , second flight was with just standard battery in (p) mode both full throttle and both flights return to home was pressed when told to by safe return , first did fly further but had more battery left after landing , both flights were at approx 100m high and at 30km speed out and 35km speed return .
How do you get to that file so it will show pics like you just did?

So the million dollar question is

"how much extra flight time are you getting and is it worth it"

The mod looks great but to me it looks like it's more hassle then gain, I too want to perform a battery mod of some sort but it looks to me that it's only getting a couple extra minutes for all the effort plus the extra weight on the drone...

I think it's well worth it. The last time I made that same trip I came back and only had 11% battery left so I would say there's an improvement for sure. The trick is to use 2C batteries in series. I'm running a pair of 4000mAh batteries on this P4 and they only weigh 391g for the pair.

Last edited:
I think it's well worth it. The last time I made that same trip I came back and only had 11% battery left so I would say there's an improvement for sure. The trick is to use 2C batteries in series. I'm running a pair of 4000mAh batteries on this P4 and they only weigh 391g for the pair.

Can you provide estimated flight time? Eg are you hitting the 40min mark?? I personally wouldn't bother all that effort for a less the 10 min improvement which I'm prob dreaming

I have not tested for time yet but will tomorrow if the wind will permit and post my findings here.

Reactions: cstout
I have not tested for time yet but will tomorrow if the wind will permit and post my findings here.

Thankyou I would love to hear the results I really hope you can achieve 40mins as that would make it worthwhile but it seems unlikely that it can be done yet

Dirty Bum said - try it with a distance run. That's the test. Running it in circles with a bunch of inconsistent inputs and variables won't tell you much.

Someone do a distance run OR just let it hover without additional batteries and then with. Then you'll see the true "added time".

Or put the weight of the batteries on without plugging them in, do a hover or consistent distance run, then another with them plugged in.

I'm surprised no one is screaming that you can't do a true test without a consistent test flight. In my opinion.

I'm waiting on my replacement adapter to get here and I will do any type of test that you want. I think with the batteries I'm using there should be a pretty good difference in run times.

What's the combined weight of the two batteries that you are using? Has a lot to do with it.

It's like hooking a trailer full of gasoline to the back of your lightweight Honda. A small tank no big deal, add 100 gallons and you start the diminishing return issue

655 grams both battery's weighed together ,if you look at my other flights they are long distance 3.4 miles each way . First 2 pics with battery mod , second 2 pics with standard battery only , zoom in for the date in screen

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl