Phantom 4 malfunction and loss

This was my second fly with it.. Everything was going smooth and all of the sudden it said GPS not available.. And it just started to go away from me.. I was not able to control it. After 3 minutes i lost video and thay was it!

I had the Phantom 2, 3 Pro and this one and i never had any problems in the past..

I called customer service and the representative was so rude, he was just trying to get me to say the wrong thing.. Worst customer service ever.. He said they will send me a form and it will have a 3 weeks turn around for an obvious technical failure.. Im so angry!! What should i do??
No Problem.. I'm sure it's registered and that you have your registration number on the aircraft... someone will find it and use the system to get it back to you, then you can recover the data and card for the video and details... that will help you a lot with your claim with DJI... keep us posted!

It's probably impossible to find now but my guess is that with obstacle avoidance, depending on the speed and line of flight, it should have flown as long as the battery lasted and then auto landed. I'm sure it's lying on the ground somewhere in the general direction it was flying within 8 miles or so. Hopeful news but disheartening knowing it could definitely be sitting on the ground in perfect condition just waiting to be found.

Obstacle avoidance won't help if it's drifting sideways or any direction other than front facing. Once RTH kicks in tho it will fly facing front. If no GPS / Glonass signal is present though it will just land where it is if RTH is triggered. Which could be on top of a tree or a building but hopefully a clear grassy field. This user hasn't presented any evidence that this even really happened so I'd say no worries :)

This was my second fly with it.. Everything was going smooth and all of the sudden it said GPS not available.. And it just started to go away from me.. I was not able to control it. After 3 minutes i lost video and thay was it!

I had the Phantom 2, 3 Pro and this one and i never had any problems in the past..

I called customer service and the representative was so rude, he was just trying to get me to say the wrong thing.. Worst customer service ever.. He said they will send me a form and it will have a 3 weeks turn around for an obvious technical failure.. Im so angry!! What should i do??
Maybe the new collision avoidance system kicked in to avoid clouds

Sorry, I have a very odd sense of humor!

Reactions: GadgetGuy and Szon3
Interesting ... it could be that DJI don't trust all the warranty claims that come in but I'd be very surprised if they are telling the FAA every time you use atti mode or go to 500 feet above launch point.
Yeah, this is very interesting. I was going to jump up and down and mention I'm in and out of ATTI mode all of the time with nary a quibble - but if the P4 is going to complain every time, that would really cramp my style.

Taking off from a boat requires ATTI mode - I can't lock enough satellites and landing sure as hell does because the GPS function actually gets in the way (you want the P3 to drift with the boat). Landing on a small boat is nerve wracking enough without any extra 'help' from the app.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Yeah, this is very interesting. I was going to jump up and down and mention I'm in and out of ATTI mode all of the time with nary a quibble - but if the P4 is going to complain every time, that would really cramp my style.
Taking off from a boat requires ATTI mode - I can't lock enough satellites and landing sure as hell does because the GPS function actually gets in the way (you want the P3 to drift with the boat). Landing on a small boat is nerve wracking enough without any extra 'help' from the app.

It doesn't complain every time - it just asks you to acknowledge that you accept the risks before you enable the switch in the software.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
It doesn't complain every time - it just asks you to acknowledge that you accept the risks before you enable the switch in the software.
Ah, thanks. That's 'OK' (a pox on lawyers in general). I suppose it will make somebody in China feel better about it.

Not sure why folks continue to entertain this topic when the OP has provided ZERO EVIDENCE the event actually took place? It has become the "Hypothetical Fly Away What If?" thread!
I don't get it either he made the same bs claim on face book and then disappeared when people started asking questions and wanting proof. Obviously no such fly away occured.

Didn't happen fly away thread

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Attitude[Mode]

This means the quad will only maintain it's level (upright) and altitude while being subject to the wind or other air currents. There is no assistance from GPS to maintain location above the Earth.

Last edited:
I call BS with no flight log!
I dono but it does make ya wonder ..8 post 5 of them here .
And lets not look at the op's join date .
:)

Its not, it really happened and it sucks.. By the way customer service does not help much. they send me a form to fill but it feels like they just want to get you. I never had any problems with the phantom 3 pro or Phantom 2.
Ralph, regarding customer service, if you check Better Business Bureau rankings and reviews of DJI, you'll see that the company gets an F. It is disconcerting to read the reviews. I own a P3A and don't feel I can trust DJI to do the right thing after visiting the BBB site. I also read an interview with the DJI CEO, and THAT really concerned me because of the guy's arrogance and disdain for his customers.

Interesting ... it could be that DJI don't trust all the warranty claims that come in but I'd be very surprised if they are telling the FAA every time you use atti mode or go to 500 feet above launch point.

Meta4
Would you blame them? I will bet that there is a very good percentage of claims made to them that are due to operator failure as opposed to manufacturing failures.
Seems these days now, everyone wants something that will last forever and never break.

ATTI stands for Attitude control, meaning your platform will maintain horizontal level using the gyroscope to maintain balance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers