Phantom 4 just returned from DJI

Reaction score
I sent my P4 back to DJI because I was not happy with the range I've been getting, only about 1500-2500 feet away before it would start giving me no signal warnings and then it would RTH , plus the rubber feet on the gear were coming off.

It arrived tonight via UPS so I haven't had a chance to fly it yet, but they replaced the landing gear and replaced the main control unit under warranty.

I fired it up to see if it needed any updates but everything is up to date.

The only thing I'm pissed about is that they didn't return my white retail box since I like to keep them for resale, so I'm seeing if they'll send a new one.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Good luck ... Message me if you need contact info for the support manager ( US support boss in Carson ) as I have his direct phone number

I recently crashed my drone... Trees are definitely the enemy. Lesson learned.

I sent my drone to DJI for repairs, and it just came back today... It only took 9 days from drop off to return. The cost was $198. It appears they actually gave me a completely new (refurbished?) drone (different serial number) rather than repaired the one I sent in. Only one test flight, but It seems to work well. I am a bit concerned that it is louder than my original. They are loud.

Upon receiving the drone, it would not connect to the controller. No instructions about this. A phone call to DJI customer service quickly solved the problem. I was given simple instructions for creating an new linkage. It worked the first time.

Though DJI repair did a good job, communicating with DJI customer service is not simple. They have definite protocols they expect us to comply with, but their instructions are confusing, and unnecessarily tedious. What should occur in one email, required several, and there is a lag in response time. Several points of confusion required multiple phone calls for clarification.

Call number one... Informing DJI that I had crashed the drone and needed a repair. I received the first email. It contains a form that asks for your "DJI account for activation." What they are actually asking for is the email account you used to activate your device. (Phone call number two).

A follow up email then contains a list of instructions, which are mostly clear, however, the first item requests that an attached "Customer Information Form" be completed. The form is not attached to the email. However, farther down a link is provided that takes you to a page with multiple forms listed. The "Customer Information Form" is not there, but another page titled a "Global Technical Support Form" seems to be what they want. (Phone call number three).

They ask that you package the drone with bubble wrap, and do not include any accessories. They then make a confusing statement about sending the white Phantom box will "automatic qualify it for invoiced repair." They don't want the white phantom box. I basically put the drone (and only the drone) in the original foam container, put that in a cardboard box surrounded by bubble wrap. That worked. From what has been said, above, they don't like you to send the white box, and will not return it if you send it. (No phone call required here).

A case number is provided at the end of the email. Apparently the case numbers and RMA numbers are interchangeable. Another point of confusion. (Phone call number four).

It then took several days for DJI to generate a shipping label. (Phone call number five).

Despite the unnecessary confusion, aggravation and phone calls... it all seemed to work. DJI could simplify this whole process by making a few small changes to their instruction emails (I will try to give them feedback).

Meanwhile... Enjoy your drones. They are an amazing technology.

Mark

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
darn it, I just sent mine in today in original Styrofoam box it comes in , then put that in white original , then surrounded with bubble wrap, inside another cardboard box...sounds like from your post above It might be delayed in getting repaired ? and yes very confusing phone calls as well here too....

ah ok I see, would be nice , but as long as it fly's again ...I can live without it

Yes, it's good to hear DJI is turning repairs faster. And$200 isn't a bad price. When I sent mind in for repair to DJI I never spoke to anyone, it was all by email. Less frustrating I think, but it took a week to complete all of their steps and answer all their questions. I also got mine back in 9 days, but I live only 30 miles from DJI Carson.

If you would have read the manual you would have known how to link a controller with a craft, simple steps, as you know now. I highly recommend reading the manual.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj