Phantom 4 Gimbal Guard

Reaction score
This is a very important piece of your gear/kit. Keep it , use it , don't loose it, and most importantly REMOVE IT. Be sure and remove before every power up, be certain to attach after every Power down. If you find yourself often forgetting to remove before power up then Tag it. It's hard to miss a long orange ribbon hanging from your bird than it is a transparent brace that's easily overlooked during power up

Not sure I agree with attaching it after you power down. I will only put mine back on if I am traveling with it , or for storage. It is a common thing for people to forget to remove the guard and I think the last time I did was while doing an update , and I have about 8 pieces of multi colored yarn hanging down from mine. It happens .

This is a very important piece of your gear/kit. Keep it , use it , don't loose it, and most importantly REMOVE IT.

Gimbal guard is a flat piece of plastic, fiberglass or metal that can be mounted between the landing gear in order to prevent objects, such as rocks, from hitting the camera/gimbal when landing. A gimbal clamp (or lock) is what locks the camera to the Phantom 4 body to prevent the camera/gimbal from being damaged while transporting.

upload_2017-1-10_10-54-3.png

Don't know whey DJI makes these clear. Probably because they did not want it to detract from the look of the Phantom. Still, something like yellow or red would have been a much better color. I used a slip ring over the long arms with a paper tag on it that I colored yellow with a marker. As mentioned above, yarn or string tied on would work and probably be better.

Reactions: Joseaugusto
I don't think it's about what would be better, your idea is just as good , we all get hung up on what's better my way or yours, I think anything one could do that would aid themselves in anyway is good.

I think this is a lesson in terminology and I agree with the distinction ... I was in error referring to this component as a "gimbal guard" :)
I've been told that powering the bird while restraining the camera movement (gimbal clamp in place) can cause damage to the gimbal and in some cases produce what is called a "limp gimbal" .... nothing worse than a limp gimbal :( I really like the red version !

Really? Not calling you a liar or anything, just amazed you flew that many times without attempting to swivel the gimbal down to look at what you're flying over (or even just testing/learning about all the controls).

I have about 20 flights in now, never moved the gimbal once... trying to master the controls of my drone first before adding another thing to focus on. Plus, until spring where I live is pretty ugly through out the state. Also, I may be confused... I am referencing the foam piece that is wedge up into the gimbal preventing it from moving.

I'm sure the clear gimbal, camera lens cover, super gadget needs to be removed before you power that bird on EVERYTIME. That foam piece that's added for vibration dampening during moves and shipping, remove that also, chunk that foam piece in the trash.

Reactions: chadrob30
I'm sure the clear gimbal, camera lens cover, super gadget needs to be removed before you power that bird on EVERYTIME. That foam piece that's added for vibration dampening during moves and shipping, remove that also, chunk that foam piece in the trash.
Many of us continue to use that "piece of trash" to continue to protect the gimbal when transporting in a variety of applications (car, back pack etc.) :)

I have a microfiber rag I'll jam under there for extra support during transportation. I just keep flying mine with that attached, so I trashed it Cheers

I have about 20 flights in now, never moved the gimbal once... trying to master the controls of my drone first before adding another thing to focus on. Plus, until spring where I live is pretty ugly through out the state. Also, I may be confused... I am referencing the foam piece that is wedge up into the gimbal preventing it from moving.

Even if you do not move the gimbal during flight, it will move by itself to stabilize the picture. As suhc, removing the gimbal support/lock is a must.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: John1960

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20